Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu> on 2019/03/09 02:05:11 UTC

Re: DB lease lock - broker should stop-start to retry acquiring the lock

It's my understanding that restarts are handled by the Tanuki service
wrapper, when ActiveMQ is installed as a service, using the instructions at
http://activemq.apache.org/java-service-wrapper.html. Is that how you're
using ActiveMQ? Or are you running the broker directly from the executable
in the bin directory, which wouldn't use the wrapper (and so wouldn't
restart the process)?

Tim

Re: Re: DB lease lock - broker should stop-start to retry acquiring the lock

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Martin,

Thanks for sharing your solution (unclean though it is) to help whoever
might hit this later, and the fact that you're running within Karaf. I
don't have any experience working with Karaf so I can't suggest anything
cleaner (though you'd be more likely to get suggestions from the Karaf
community, since this is specific to the Karaf environment).

ActiveMQ's philosophy is that the process exits when the broker encounters
a fatal error, but it's the responsibility of some wrapper process (e.g.
the Tanuki service wrapper referenced from the page I sent earlier) to
restart the JVM. I'm not sure if it's possible to leverage the Tanuki
wrapper within Karaf (I assume not, since you said you had to use this
workaround), but without something like that, the behavior you saw is the
expected behavior.

Tim

Posted by Martin Lichtin <li...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.