Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2005/10/11 20:56:55 UTC

Confluence - again (was Re: Applications migration)

On Oct 11, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> David Blevins wrote:

>>> I think the move to confluence is an excellent idea and we
>>> should  definitely start discussing this. Looking at the current
>>> wiki, I  think there is a lot of great but unorganized
>>> information.  Since  M5 has now been released we expect and
>>> enormous growth in "users"  and so I think we are are now at a
>>> point where it would be good to  start focusing on the
>>> organization and presentation of the wiki and  the move to
>>> confluence would be a good starting point to be able to  do so.
>>>

>> We have a confluence space if we want to start using it.  http://
>> opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO
>> Here is an example of what we could do with it   http://
>> opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Unassigned
>> -David
>>

> Humm... from discussions over on infrastructure I see Leo and Noel
> have some concerns about maintaining a confluence install on
> apache.org. Probably nothing that couldn't be solved by a few
> volunteers.
[...]
> Please don't send us down the path of hosting ASF project doc on
> non-ASF infrastructure. Nothing good can come from that exercise.

This is an old debate.  Confluence is somewhat high maintenance and
much of the infrastructure team remains unconvinced it's worth the
trouble.  The first time this idea came up on the Geronimo dev lists,
I kept in touch with the infrastructure guys that posted and emailed
them every couple months about it.  This is the compromise we reached.

It's a confluence install hosted and maintained by the confluence
guys solely for use by the ASF and administered by members of the
ASF.  Seems to me to be an acceptable middle ground for now.

-David

Re: Confluence - again (was Re: Applications migration)

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/05, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2005, at 11:57 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
> > Dain,
> > If you are bent on using confluence, can you please spearhead an
> > effort to set one up on our solaris zones. that way at least it would
> > be under ASF infra and all of us would do the lifting needed to
> > administer the thing w/o burdening the Infra folks.
>
> It would be awesome to have confluence at Apache!  How do I get a
> solaris zone?

I agree and I'm willing to assist with this effort. I simply need to
resolve an issue with the forwarding of messages from minotaur.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Geronimo WIKI Solaris Zone [was: Confluence - again ]

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
FYI, we (at Chariot) have a MoinMoin to Confluence conversion script.
If that would be helpful, let me know when you get that far.

Aaron

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/05, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> So it looks like step one it to establish the Geronimo zone.
>
> Geir can you ask infrastructure to create the Geronimo zone, and once
> they are done, you will need to create an account for me.
>
> Also do any other committers want to help set this up (my unix skills
> are weak).

Sure, I'll help too - and I'm a Unix nut ;-).

Bruce
);'

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Right, Dims said the same thing.

On Oct 12, 2005, at 1:50 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2005, at 11:57 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>

>> David,
>> "This is the compromise we reached"...Can you please send me the
>> message id's of the messages in question? I don't remember seeing
>> this
>> on the infra mailing list.
>>

> Don't have anything official for you.  We've talked about and voted
> on confluence so many times on this list my brain has lost ability
> to track the details.
>
> IIRC, somewhere around this email is as official as it gets.
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=109055328726956&w=2
>
> I kept bugging Jeff after that thread died.  At some point the ASF-
> only Confluence install got setup at Atlassian.  I assumed it was
> ASF blessed.

I was mistaken.

Anyway, zones are great thing to get setup in general.

-David

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Oct 13, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Even if we can't do Confluence, I'm going to ask for two zones, one
> for general use, and one for TCK use.

Cool is there an ETA on this?  I'm excited to get started.

-dain

Re: Geronimo WIKI Solaris Zone [was: Confluence - again ]

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: Geronimo WIKI Solaris Zone [was: Confluence - again ]

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
It's all fine.  This zone per PMC concept sounds like the answer to a
lot of things.

Should be just what the doctor ordered :)

-David

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
David,
"This is the compromise we reached"...Can you please send me the
message id's of the messages in question? I don't remember seeing this
on the infra mailing list.

Dain,
If you are bent on using confluence, can you please spearhead an
effort to set one up on our solaris zones. that way at least it would
be under ASF infra and all of us would do the lifting needed to
administer the thing w/o burdening the Infra folks.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Geir, have you noted how user-unfriendly the apache wiki is? with this
wiki you are very limited with the formating. The wiki names are not
easy either, try to talk about " ConnectionPoolDatasource", this wiki
will automatically create a new page link for it.

I think it would be better to keep everything "local" but the local wiki
needs some work then(i.e. update presentation/look&feel, formating tags,
navigability, manage local attachments, etc.)

It takes a lot more time to format a simple article in wiki than
confluence and still you will not get the same organization/structure
you been looking for.

I prefer to have the articles out faster and with the best formating
possible.

What you think it would be the best alternative for documentation?

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/13/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2005, at 12:17 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
> > On 10/12/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> That is the question.  Don't forget Solaris, which isn't OSS yet
> >> either...
> >>

> > Except... it is?
> >
> > http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/usr/src/
>
> OpenSolaris is open, or will be, but
>
> a) IIRC, not everything has been released as OSS yet - you still need
> a binary component.
>
> b) That's not what we're running at the moment.
>
> (I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think so...)

Yes, I beleive you're correct and I don't know if the binary
requirement will ever change. IIRC Sun's goal was to open source
select pieces of Solaris.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Confluence - again (was Re: Applications migration)

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> That is the question.  Don't forget Solaris, which isn't OSS yet
> either...

Actually, Solaris is open source (see http://www.opensolaris.org/).

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Confluence - again (was Re: Applications migration)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Oct 12, 2005, at 11:35 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2005, at 8:18 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> What compromise are you talking about?  Please forward some info.
>> I'm on infra and don't recall this.
>>
>> My email got all out of whack because of that server move...  are
>> we talking about setting up Conflluence here?  Or using it elswhere?
>>

> setting it up on a solaris zone

thx

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 12, 2005, at 8:18 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> What compromise are you talking about?  Please forward some info.  I'm
> on infra and don't recall this.
>
> My email got all out of whack because of that server move...  are we
> talking about setting up Conflluence here?  Or using it elswhere?

setting it up on a solaris zone

> On the idea of using foreign infrastructure, I think this is a bad
> idea for this project.  The Apache Board takes a dim view of this, and
> I can think of a bunch of reasons why we don't want to do this.
>
> On setting up here in a Solaris Zone here and running Confluence, I
> think that's better, but I have doubts that people will be happy with
> us running proprietary software here.  I'll see what infra thinks
> (unless someone already knows...)

How is running confluence different from running jira?  Isn't there an
osx box (moof) at apache?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Oct 12, 2005, at 11:36 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> On 10/12/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> On setting up here in a Solaris Zone here and running Confluence, I
> think that's better, but I have doubts that people will be happy with
> us running proprietary software here.
>
> Can we count this as a vote for Bugzilla?

LOL.  I prefer JIRA, thanks :)

I have no idea why JIRA would be allowed and not Confluence based on
that aspect.  Something to find out.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Confluence - again (was Re: Applications migration)

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: Confluence - again (was Re: Applications migration)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
I checked with infra folks, no one seems to have approved such a
request. So, please don't use the outside wiki till we settle this
with infra folks.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.