Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Nirav Patel <np...@xactlycorp.com> on 2016/09/16 18:43:56 UTC

How PolynomialExpansion works

Doc says:

Take a 2-variable feature vector as an example: (x, y), if we want to
expand it with degree 2, then we get (x, x * x, y, x * y, y * y).

I know polynomial expansion of (x+y)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2 but can't relate
it to above.

Thanks

--

[image: What's New with Xactly] <http://www.xactlycorp.com/email-click/>

<https://www.nyse.com/quote/XNYS:XTLY>  [image: LinkedIn]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/xactly-corporation>  [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/Xactly>  [image: Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/XactlyCorp>  [image: YouTube]
<http://www.youtube.com/xactlycorporation>

Re: How PolynomialExpansion works

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
The result includes, essentially, all the terms in (x+y) and (x+y)^2,
and so on up if you chose a higher power. It is not just the
second-degree terms.