Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org> on 2018/08/09 08:57:54 UTC

Correct sentence about OpenOffice

Hi all

The startcenter.desktop file says "The office productivity suite compatible to the open and standardized ODF document format. Supported by Apache OpenOffice."

Shouldn't this be "The office productivity suite compatible *with* the open and standardized ODF document format. Supported by the *Apache Software Foundation*." or "Supported by the *OpenOffice community*" (as mentioned in the About dialog)?

I can do the changes, just need an agreement on who supoorts OpenOffice: the ASF or the OpenOffice community? Or both?

Thanks!

Regards,
Pedro

Re: Correct sentence about OpenOffice

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09.08.2018 um 18:26 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> As a matter of curiosity, why does the first change affect any language
> other than English?
>
> I do agree with the change. (I am a native speaker of English English,
> and fluent in written US English).

great, that means the change will be correct English.
Then Petro can just change it.

> On 8/9/2018 9:19 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Pedro,
>>
>> Remember, the change would have to be localized for all available
>> languages... ;-)
>>
>> And we have (at least) two different locations for such a string.
>> Whatever we choose, it should be identical.

Or we leave it with the differences. Then everybody is meantioned and
nobody can feel disregarded.

Marcus

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Patricia,

Am 09.08.2018 um 18:26 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> As a matter of curiosity, why does the first change affect any
> language other than English?

What do you mean by "first change"?

The main point for me is the difference between Linux and Windows. Is it
supported by Apache OpenOffice, the community or the ASF?

Regards,
   Matthias

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
As a matter of curiosity, why does the first change affect any language
other than English?

I do agree with the change. (I am a native speaker of English English,
and fluent in written US English).

On 8/9/2018 9:19 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi Pedro,
>
> Remember, the change would have to be localized for all available
> languages... ;-)
>
> And we have (at least) two different locations for such a string.
> Whatever we choose, it should be identical.
>
> Regards,
>
>     Matthias
>
> P.S.: Please allow at least 72 hours time for others to give their feedback.
>

> Am 09.08.2018 um 13:44 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>> Hi Matthias
>>

>>> Yes, that wording always irritated me...
>>>
>>>      On Windows the tooltips says:
>>>      The office productivity suite compatible to the open and standardized
>>>      ODF document format. Supported by The Apache Software Foundation.
>>>
>> I will then switch "compatible to" to "compatible with"
>>
>> and "Supported by the Apache OpenOffice" to "Supported by the Apache Software Foundation."
>>
>> (with a lowercase "the" since it is the ASF, not the TASF :) )
>>
>> if there is no opposing feedback
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Pedro

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: Correct sentence about OpenOffice

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 09.08.2018 um 20:36 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> I know of some references to Oracle/SUN. But if there is one in a
>>     released language, it must be corrected!
>>     You do have a Pootle account? ;-)
>>

> Isn't it the Pootle files that are not synced with the release?
>
> Isn't it better to edit the .desktop file and just upload the changes to SVN?

Of course you must change it in source, but that is en-US only:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/main/sysui/desktop/share/launcher_comment.ulf
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/main/scp2/source/ooo/folderitem_ooo.ulf

>>     >

>>         > > In any case the important part is to do our best with the resources available (or stop and wait...)
>>>     >     That is why we discuss here. But if we agree on a different wording it
>>     has impact on 41 languages.
>>     Of course that should be done by a native speaker and will take some time.
>>
>>     Such a change should also be announced on l10n@.
>>
> There is no change in the text. It was a syntax error in the English version (not a change of meaning of the sentence).
>
> There is no need to ask people from 41 languages to replace "Apache OpenOffice" by "Apache Software Foundation"
>
> There is no translation involved

OK, then I misunderstood.
So we have a desktop file with "supported by Apache OpenOffice", a
Windows tooltip with "supported by The Apache Software Foundation" and
an About dialog with "supported by the OpenOffice Community"

Diversity at its best... ;-)

If you only wanted to correct a typo, than we don't have to discuss, JFDI.

Regards,
   Matthias

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Matthias