Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2015/07/14 22:43:28 UTC

brooklyn-dist project and output archive naming

Could I get some comments on
https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/pull/746?

>From the PR:

----

In commit 56285ad, which modifies the way that Brooklyn dist is built,
@ahgittin notes: "finalName affects name in target/ but we cannot influence
name when it is attached/installed, so apache- prefix would be lost there.
to keep it consistent this is commented out, but would be nice to have if
there is a way!"

However I am not certain why this is an issue, and why we need to insist
that the built artifact name must be consistent with the attached-artifact
name. The primary concern of the distribution is a single downloadable
binary archive. This archive should be named appropriately for the product,
and convention dictates that the archive contains a single directory with
the same name as the archive, and that directory contains all the files.
maven-assembly-plugin will also upload them to the repository, but forces
them to be a particular name. However, that isn't important - users aren't
going to get the binary download by digging through Maven repositories,
they are going to get it from the Apache download page. The Maven artifact
of the distribution is merely a side effect, so does it really matter what
its name is?

This PR changes the name of the archives to
apache-brooklyn-VERSION-bin.tar.gz and .zip. Each contains a single folder,
apache-brooklyn-VERSION-bin, which contains all the files for the
distribution.

This corresponds to the release process, which is producing names and
formats identical except that bin is substituted for src.

----

Unfortunately Alex is on holiday so I can't talk to him directly about this
issue. Therefore I'm throwing it open wider. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Richard.