Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Will Butler <wi...@butlerhq.com> on 2014/01/23 17:40:24 UTC

SolrCloud 4.6.0: OutOfMemoryError on Shard Split

We have a 125GB shard that we are attempting to split, but each time we try to do so, we eventually run out of memory (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded). We have attempted it with the following heap sizes on the shard leader: 4GB, 6GB, 12GB, and 24GB. Even if it does eventually work with more heap, should I have to increase the heap size at all to do a split? Has anyone successfully done a split with a shard of this size using SolrCloud 4.6.0?

Thanks,

Will

Re: SolrCloud 4.6.0: OutOfMemoryError on Shard Split

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
This is a known issue. Solr 4.7 will bring some relief.

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5214

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Will Butler <wi...@butlerhq.com> wrote:
> We have a 125GB shard that we are attempting to split, but each time we try to do so, we eventually run out of memory (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded). We have attempted it with the following heap sizes on the shard leader: 4GB, 6GB, 12GB, and 24GB. Even if it does eventually work with more heap, should I have to increase the heap size at all to do a split? Has anyone successfully done a split with a shard of this size using SolrCloud 4.6.0?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.