Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brad Nicholes <bn...@novell.com> on 2005/05/12 02:42:18 UTC

Re: svn commit: r169705 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: include/util_ldap.hmodules/ldap/util_ldap.c

So I guess I am confused.  Are you saying that we *can* release 1.2 or am I stuck with putting LDAP SDK #ifdef code back in util_ldap in order to fix this problem?

Brad

>>> chip@force-elite.com Wednesday, May 11, 2005 5:56 PM >>>
Brad Nicholes wrote:
> Is there an issue with backporting this change to 1.1.x branch
> and releasing a apr-util 1.1.3?

Yes, According to APR's versioning policy:
http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

"Versions are denoted using a standard triplet of integers:
MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH. The basic intent is that MAJOR versions are
incompatible, large-scale upgrades of the API. MINOR versions retain
source and binary compatibility with older minor versions, and changes
in the PATCH level are perfectly compatible, forwards and backwards."

Since 1.1.3 would be a PATCH version, you cannot add a new symbol, since
this would break both binary and source backwards compat.  The first
version that could contain this new symbol is 1.2.0.

Since APR/APR-Util are still very closely tied to HTTPD, I think we can
justify releasing APR more often.

-Paul

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Brad Nicholes wrote:
> So I guess I am confused. Are you saying that we *can* release 1.2 or
> am I stuck with putting LDAP SDK #ifdef code back in util_ldap in
> order to fix this problem?

I am saying we can release APR-Util 1.2 -- but that discussion belongs
on apr-dev.

I think the best solution right now is to #ifdef it.

I don't think it should be reverted.  The point of trunk is to always be
open for commits and new development.