Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Neuenschwander <je...@collegeguy.com> on 2000/04/14 00:39:55 UTC

servlet question

This is an easy question, but I have spent the last hour looking over docs
and the web for answers, with no luck..

In JSP, you do this to use a bean
<%@ page import="package.beanname" %>
<jsp:useBean id="myBean" scope="page" class="package.beanname" />
then you refer to the bean as myBean and do whatever you want to with it..

but in a servlet, I can't get it to work properly.  I am doing an

import beanname;

but do I need something like the useBean syntax in JSP?  I am guessing that
is my problem, but I can't find the correct command.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: servlet question

Posted by Christopher Stacy <cs...@crystaliz.com>.
 Jeff> In JSP, you do this to use a bean
 Jeff> <%@ page import="package.beanname" %>
 Jeff> <jsp:useBean id="myBean" scope="page" class="package.beanname" />
 Jeff> then you refer to the bean as myBean and do whatever you want to with it..
 Jeff> but in a servlet, I can't get it to work properly.  I am doing an
 Jeff> import beanname;
 Jeff> but do I need something like the useBean syntax in JSP?  I am guessing that
 Jeff> is my problem, but I can't find the correct command.

Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding your question.

The jsp:useBean action element instantiates a bean, so the corresponding
JAVA code in a servlet would be a constructor call ("new" statement);
you store the bean in a variable and do like bean.getFoo("bar") on it.

When compiling your code, there are the usual package and CLASSPATH issues,
some of which have been discussed here earlier today.