Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by sidarthsc <si...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/17 23:38:15 UTC

Rollback Failure

Our server is running broker-j 7.0.6 and our sessions are transacted. We're
seeing a lot of exceptions of the form "Failed to rollback:
org.apache.qpid.AMQException: timed out waiting for sync: complete = 18,
point = 19 [error code 541: internal error]" I read that this can be a
symptom of the broker being overloaded. Any ideas other relieving pressure
on the broker and increasing the value of sync_op_timeout? Also, we're using
a much older version of the client, but are currently upgrading to
jms-amqp-0-x 6.3.3. Thanks!

Re: Rollback Failure

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 19:02, sidarthsc <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Rob! That makes sense. Similarly, we're seeing a lot of exceptions
> of
> the form "Session sync was interrupted by failover. [error code 541:
> internal error]." Unfortunately, I'm not seeing in anything in the broker
> logs and we're logging at the "INFO" level.

I think this is likely similar in nature.  "interrupted by failover" means
(IIRC) that the connection was closed and the client is trying to
reestablish, but at the time the client was waiting for a synchronization
over the wire, that was never completed.  Have you turned on verbose gc
logging for the broker?  My best guess would still be excessive GC pauses.

-- Rob

Re: Rollback Failure

Re: Rollback Failure

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 00:38, sidarthsc <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Our server is running broker-j 7.0.6 and our sessions are transacted. We're
> seeing a lot of exceptions of the form "Failed to rollback:
> org.apache.qpid.AMQException: timed out waiting for sync: complete = 18,
> point = 19 [error code 541: internal error]" I read that this can be a
> symptom of the broker being overloaded. Any ideas other relieving pressure
> on the broker and increasing the value of sync_op_timeout? Also, we're
> using
> a much older version of the client, but are currently upgrading to
> jms-amqp-0-x 6.3.3. Thanks!

I think you pretty much covered it already...  One common cause of these
sort of timeouts can be long garbage collection pauses in the Broker - do
you have any monitoring in place on the broker to see what it is doing
during these periods?  Even if it is "heavily loaded" it still shouldn't
really timeout unless you are seeing GC pauses, swapping to disk, or some
other similar condition.  The timeout is already sufficiently high that
raising it really doesn't help much IMHO.

-- Rob