Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2004/04/07 15:22:00 UTC

Open Office Support (Re: Openoffice: keeping forrest styles loaded)

Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Jason End wrote:
>
>> You're right! I hadn't noticed that all documents work
>> like that. Seems kinda silly to me. I'm still on my crusade to allow
>> non-tech people to
>> write documents for forrest.
>>

> For this reasons I added support for OpenOffice. Could you report back
> your experiences with OO and Forrest? It would be very appreciated!

I have done some work on OO integration, I have Writer and Impress files
working with basic formatting. Basically, I have extended the work you
did and am extracting style information from the sx* files as well. What
does this mean? We are not restricted to using a particular template, we
simply use the normal formatting rules.

Of course, the problem with this is that the content could have a
totally different look and feel to the main site. Do we see this as a
major problem?

Ross

Re: Open Office Support (Re: Openoffice: keeping forrest styles loaded)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Reinhard Pötz wrote:

>>> For this reasons I added support for OpenOffice. Could you report
>>> back your experiences with OO and Forrest? It would be very appreciated!
>>

>> I have done some work on OO integration, I have Writer and Impress
>> files working with basic formatting. Basically, I have extended the
>> work you did and am extracting style information from the sx* files as
>> well. What does this mean? We are not restricted to using a particular
>> template, we simply use the normal formatting rules.
>>
>> Of course, the problem with this is that the content could have a
>> totally different look and feel to the main site. Do we see this as a
>> major problem?
>

> When I integrated OO I was looking for a way to write documentation in a
> very simple way without having to learn a new tool. I have to admit that
> I prefer extracting only the style-free content of an OO document in
> order to get a common layout.
>
> I think we can support both solutions: We can add special information to
> the header which provides information that "only" the content should be
> extracted. If this flag is not set your stylesheet is used. We should
> also add a OpenOffice writer template (.stw file) for the convenience of
> our users.
> WDYT?

This is a good idea, and one easily implenmeted.

> BTW, do you use the original XHTML export stylesheet of OpenOffice or
> did you write your own one?

I started with your stylesheets and started extracting style information
from the OO documents. At the moment this is presented as an embedded
stylesheet, but I intend to create a stylesheet on the fly that is
downloaded on demand.

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

--
Reinhard

Re: Open Office Support (Re: Openoffice: keeping forrest styles loaded)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> I have done some work on OO integration, I have Writer and Impress
>> files working with basic formatting. Basically, I have extended the
>> work you did and am extracting style information from the sx* files as
>> well. What does this mean? We are not restricted to using a particular
>> template, we simply use the normal formatting rules.
>>
>> Of course, the problem with this is that the content could have a
>> totally different look and feel to the main site. Do we see this as a
>> major problem?
>

> Well, it defeats the whole purpose of Forrest in separating content from
> presentation...

Not really, the style information is generally encoded in the OO
documents as fo style attributes. What I am doing is extracting this
information and creating a new stylesheet from the fo data in the source
document. This can then be overridden by other stylesheets if so desired
(at least if I wasn't writing the style information into the output
XHTML, which is only a temporary technique).

What I mean is that, with Reinhard's suggestion of making it optional as
to whether we include the style information from the original OO source
document we can still use the style provided with the skin. But if we
want to provide styled pages we can.

Perhaps a use case will help:

I use OO to allow my lecturers to produce presentations in a form they
are used to. I then use Forrest to produce web pages from these
resentations. The web pages I would like to styl ein a consitent way,
but some styling (like bold, italic etc) I want to let through.

However, I also produce a slide representation of the presentations. In
these all I have is basic navigation (next, previous, home) and the
slide itself. On this version I would like to see all the formatting of
the original presentation (complete with backgrounds etc.)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I have done some work on OO integration, I have Writer and Impress files
> working with basic formatting. Basically, I have extended the work you
> did and am extracting style information from the sx* files as well. What
> does this mean? We are not restricted to using a particular template, we
> simply use the normal formatting rules.
>
> Of course, the problem with this is that the content could have a
> totally different look and feel to the main site. Do we see this as a
> major problem?

Well, it defeats the whole purpose of Forrest in separating content from
presentation...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -