Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Prideaux <jp...@newlifetech.com> on 2001/12/31 17:34:53 UTC

Linux/windows, database choice, hosting, and whether to plug in to apache or not

I'm developing a Tomcat 4.01 website and need to make some high level
decisions.  Can anyone give some quick advice?

1.  Should it run on Windows or Linux?   I suspect I should use Linux but is
Windows a viable option?
2.  Should I plug Tomcat into Apache web-server or is the build-in
web-server for Tomcat "good enough"?
3.  Is mysql the best open source "free" database choice?
4.  Can anyone recommend hosting facilities, preferably in Northern
Virginia?  I envision providing a single box that runs Tomcat, the database
(and possibly a mail server) and I would basically "rent" a slot in a rack
at the hosting facility.

Thanks a lot!!!