Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Christoph Reck <Ch...@dlr.de> on 2000/12/12 10:40:16 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-velocity/xdocs vtl-reference-guide.xml texen.xml install.xml

jcastura@locus.apache.org wrote:
> I'd like each directive to have an identical format.

Then we should normalize the position of the brakets, e.g.
we should use:
  #set( $value = $foo + 1 )
as-well-as:
  #if( condition )...#else...#end
and:
  #macro( vmname arg1 arg2 )
to match:
  #vmname( arg1 arg2 )
Note that I'm recommending to glue the bracket to the directive
and place spaces after the openingand before the closing bracket.

This way:
1. All directive explanations in the user and reference guides
   follow the same pattern (look and coding-standard of a directive).
2. It is clear that the spaces within the brakets are only
   relevant to the directive.
3. Within some editors (CDE selects up to a whitespace) it is easyer
   to double click the text or the argument to copy-and-paste...

Thanks for your important and unique contribution to Vel!

:) Christoph

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-velocity/xdocs vtl-reference-guide.xml texen.xml install.xml

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Christoph Reck wrote:

> jcastura@locus.apache.org wrote:
> > I'd like each directive to have an identical format.
>
> Then we should normalize the position of the brakets, e.g.
> we should use:
>   #set( $value = $foo + 1 )
> as-well-as:
>   #if( condition )...#else...#end
> and:
>   #macro( vmname arg1 arg2 )
> to match:
>   #vmname( arg1 arg2 )
> Note that I'm recommending to glue the bracket to the directive
> and place spaces after the openingand before the closing bracket.

+1

> This way:
> 1. All directive explanations in the user and reference guides
>    follow the same pattern (look and coding-standard of a directive).
> 2. It is clear that the spaces within the brakets are only
>    relevant to the directive.
> 3. Within some editors (CDE selects up to a whitespace) it is easyer
>    to double click the text or the argument to copy-and-paste...
>
> Thanks for your important and unique contribution to Vel!
>
> :) Christoph

Velocity : it's not just a good idea. It should be the law.
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity