Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mike Bowler <mb...@GargoyleSoftware.com> on 2003/06/01 17:34:51 UTC

Unable to build Linkcheck on OS/X

Trying to build the LinkCheck plugin (from cvs) on OS/X results in a
"Bus error" which terminates the build.  As a result, I can't run the
bootstrap build at all.

I'm not entirely sure what a bus error is but some google searches would
indicate that it's usually a problem with  the JVM itself.  This problem
has been happening for at least a couple of weeks and is reproducible on
both java 1.3.1 and 1.4.1.  Is anyone else seeing this problem?

      [exec] +----------------------------------------
      [exec] | Building Maven LinkCheck Plug-in
      [exec] | Memory: 119M/177M
      [exec] +----------------------------------------

      [exec] clean:clean:
      [exec]     [delete] Deleting directory
/Users/mbowler/source/apache/maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/target

      [exec] clean:

      [exec] plugin:
      [exec] java:prepare-filesystem:
      [exec]     [mkdir] Created dir:
/Users/mbowler/source/apache/maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/target/classes

      [exec] java:compile:
      [exec]     [javac] Compiling 11 source files to
/Users/mbowler/source/apache/maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/target/classes
      [exec]     [copy] Copying 11 files to
/Users/mbowler/source/apache/maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/target/classes

      [exec] java:jar-resources:
      [exec]     [copy] Copying 2 files to
/Users/mbowler/source/apache/maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/target/classes/plugin-resources
      [exec]     [copy] Copying 4 files to
/Users/mbowler/source/apache/maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/target/classes

      [exec] test:prepare-filesystem:
      [exec]     [mkdir] Created dir:
/Users/mbowler/source/apache/maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/target/test-classes
      [exec]     [mkdir] Created dir:
/Users/mbowler/source/apache/maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/target/test-reports

      [exec] test:test-resources:

      [exec] test:compile:
      [exec]     [javac] Compiling 1 source file to
/Users/mbowler/source/apache/maven/src/plugins-build/linkcheck/target/test-classes

      [exec] test:test:
      [exec]     [junit] dir attribute ignored if running in the same VM
      [exec]     [junit] Running org.apache.maven.linkcheck.LinkCheckTest
      [exec] maven-linkcheck-plugin: Not using a proxy
      [exec] /usr/local/maven/bin/maven: line 141:  4136 Bus error
          $JAVACMD $MAVEN_OPTS
-Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl
-Djavax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl
"-Djava.endorsed.dirs=${MAVEN_ENDORSED}" -classpath
"${MAVEN_HOME}/lib/forehead-${FOREHEAD_VERSION}.jar"
"-Dforehead.conf.file=${MAVEN_HOME}/bin/forehead.conf"
"-Dtools.jar=$TOOLS_JAR" "-Dmaven.home=${MAVEN_HOME}" $MAIN_CLASS $@

--
Mike Bowler
Principal, Gargoyle Software Inc.

Re: Unable to build Linkcheck on OS/X

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
It's a hog while running, but not during the build (and it's only a hog
because the cache is kept in the target dir and is wiped out during the
clean goal).

There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't build and install during
bootstrap.

I'm just going to sit in the corner and blame the leaky classloaders in
the reactor.

I'm also going to change the timeout to 30 seconds per page and add
better logging.

Posted by dIon Gillard <di...@multitask.com.au>.
LinkCheck is a bit of a hog...

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: Unable to build Linkcheck on OS/X

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Bowler <mb...@GargoyleSoftware.com>.
Ben Walding wrote:
> This typically is not the fault of LinkCheck. You can remove the
> LinkCheck dir and it will just fail on the next one.

That's the behaviour I was expecting but is not actually what happens.
I deleted the linkcheck directory and the bootstrap build completed
successfully.  Unless linkcheck is taking up more memory than all the
following plugins combined, I'd guess this isn't the problem.

> Typically it is caused by running out of memory (I couldn't bootstrap
> until I added 1000M of VM to my box).  Later builds increase the memory,
> but if your OS doesn't have it available, then you'll get odd JVM crashes.

I've regularly seen that on windows but I've never seen it on OS/X.  No
idea what the difference is between these.

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
This typically is not the fault of LinkCheck. You can remove the
LinkCheck dir and it will just fail on the next one.

Typically it is caused by running out of memory (I couldn't bootstrap
until I added 1000M of VM to my box).  Later builds increase the memory,
but if your OS doesn't have it available, then you'll get odd JVM crashes.

Cheers,

Ben