Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Ronny Aasen <ro...@aasen.cx> on 2018/10/02 18:26:08 UTC

http as a guacamole protocol

Hello

Sorry if this is asked before, but I did not see it in the FAQ

I have installed guacamole, and it is simply fantastic. the ease of use,
and quick access to rdp/vnc/ssh/telnet  is just awesome.
I use it as a jump host in my home network, when i am away.  but often i
just need to access the web page of the NAS, or the router. and do not
need a full desktop.
is it possible to get HTTP and/or HTTPS as supported protocols ?

Basically you make a connection that points to an URL, and when you
access that connection you are proxied to the destination URL. since the
browser already can render web pages it should hopefully not be horribly
complicated. could also support HTTP basic auth if possible.

kind regards
Ronny Aasen

Re: http as a guacamole protocol

Posted by Kevin Davies <ja...@gmail.com>.
You guys are way too polite.

>very sorry to hear that it have been considered, and found unwanted

This is a remote desktop gateway. How does that even remotely fall into the
scope of a HTTP proxy.

> It seems a bit odd to me to limit the usefulness of a tool due to some
arbitrary scope

The goals of the project are now arbitrary in your mind are they? Thank you
so much for opening our eyes. It must be amazing for a person of your
foresight and wisdom to redefine the goals of a project at your whim.
Please understand that those who have gone before you may not agree.

> would think adding a guacd client plugin that functioned as a tunnel
would be more sane

Go right ahead, make it so. Develop away. But seeing as this is a remote
desktop gateway solution don't expect it to perform well as its not
optimised for HTTP proxy duties.

thanks for your time
Kevin Davies

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

> Hello
>
> my comment about client plugin, was from this page
> https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-architecture.html where
> it is stated that protocol support in guacd is added as "client plugins"

Ah, I'm sorry, I mis-read this - the context led me to believe you were
talking something like Browser Plugin or Java Applet, but I see what you're
saying, now.

> I am sorry if my frustration was so visible, was not my intention :)
> I just liked guacamole so much that i had hoped to use it for
> $everything right away. But I do realize it is more complex then one can
> assume at first glance.

No worries - I've been on the admin side of these projects more time than
the development side, and often found myself in the place of wishing a
project did exactly what I was hoping it would do, or getting frustrated
that I expect it to do something and then finding out it doesn't.  Again,
hopefully I was able to clear up what this project is getting at, even
though I can't point you in the direction of any Open Source project that
does $everything you're looking for :-).

> the sexy and smooth is absolutely a compliment, what guacamole does for
> RDP and VNC is just amazing.

I agree - one of the things that attracted me to contributing to the
development of Guacamole was being amazed at how well it did some of the
things I was looking for, and a desire to give back to the project and to
expand the features into other areas that I thought would be beneficial or
that I wanted.  I'm not the most talented developer out there, but it is
very interesting and challenging being on the development side of a project
like this and getting to expand it to include other functionality.  It's
definitely a really cool piece of software and fun project to be a part of.

-Nick

Re: http as a guacamole protocol

Posted by Ronny Aasen <ro...@aasen.cx>.
On 10/3/18 2:36 AM, Nick Couchman wrote:
> [...]
> client/server), and then sending that on the web browser (essentially as
> either JPEG or PNG images plus audio, clipboard, and file transfers).
> This is different than doing port forwarding or establishing some sort
> of VPN tunnel between your browser and the remote server.  Here's some
> quick (and very poor) ASCII Art to illustrate the flow (using RDP to a
> Windows Server as an example):
>
> Web Browser Client <-- (HTTP and/or WebSocket) --> Guacamole Client <--
> (Guacamole Protocol) --> guacd <-- (RDP) --> Windows Server
>
> Essentially, and very simply, adding HTTP support would involve having
> guacd render the web pages itself, and then generate the images (+audio,
> clipboard, and file transfers) to send via the Guacamole Protocol over
> to the Guacamole Client, which would then provide that via HTTP(s) or
> WebSocket(S) to the browser.  I've no doubt that it *could* be done, but
> this isn't really the function of a remote desktop gateway or client,
> it's more like a VPN or reverse proxy.  It's also ever so slightly more
> complex than just forwarding a port on the client to the server.
>
> Finally on this point, you mention "adding a guacd client plugin" to do
> the port forwarding.  This would go directly against one of the key
> goals of the Guacamole Project - *clientless* remote desktop gateway,
> where "clientless" is referring to not requiring any additional client
> or plugin within the web browser.
>
>     Since guacamole is limited to displaying Is it perhaps possible to
>     do a single application of a remote desktop X11 application via
>     guacamole, that could open just a single browser, to "cheat" into
>     getting a web page at the remote location. that could run the remote
>     "browser" on the guacd linux server host.
>

> Yes, this is certainly a way you could work around the challenge - you
> could have a RDP (XRDP, if you like, on Linux) or VNC connection open
> Chrome or Firefox, and you could then use that to browse around the
> internal network.
>
> Hopefully I've been able to clear up the goals of the project and answer
> some of your questions.  I'm sorry that it appears to have frustrated
> you, but hopefully now it makes more sense what the project is trying to
> accomplish, and, just as importantly, what we're not trying to
> accomplish, achieve, or be.
>
> -Nick

Hello

my comment about client plugin, was from this page
https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-architecture.html where
it is stated that protocol support in guacd is added as "client plugins"

I am sorry if my frustration was so visible, was not my intention :)
I just liked guacamole so much that i had hoped to use it for
$everything right away. But I do realize it is more complex then one can
assume at first glance.

the sexy and smooth is absolutely a compliment, what guacamole does for

thank you for your time.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ronny Aasen <ro...@aasen.cx>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.