Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> on 2013/07/28 03:13:53 UTC

escape analysis, stack allocation and scalar replacement for ValueHolders for non-primitive types

Hey Guys,

I've been working on the right ValueHolder interfaces to avoid object
allocation inside evaluation loops.  It's easy when we're dealing with
primitives but becomes more sticky when we're dealing with complex
types like strings.  There are two reasons I'm focused on this.  The
first is stack allocation.  The second is scalar replacement.  Stack
allocation seems to work very well.  However, scalar replacement seems
slightly less reliable.  I basically modeled three things we'll be
doing:

- Simple method (with alloc and without -- the current runtime
evaluation already using this alloc approach)
- Set (one using multiple parameters, the other using a single object
that contained primitives)
- Get (one using multiple methods, one using a passed in object that
is then populated, the third creating an object inside the get method
and returning that object)

I had been hoping that the latest JRE was smart enough to do scalar
replacements across a single method boundary.  It looks like it works
in most cases.  Strangely, it doesn't seem to work correctly in the
set(Object) method.  That said, it doesn't seem like that big of a
deal and just leads me to think that this should be done with multiple
parameters on the ValueVector.Accessor's.

Thoughts?  I didn't spend a lot of time trying to make this a super
accurate benchmark so let me know if you think there are holes in my
benchmark?

Jacques

-----

gist: https://gist.github.com/jacques-n/6096934

====With Escape Analysis enabled==== (-XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions
-XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=4G)
initial
	noalloc	alloc	ret alloc
method	523	538
set	593	788
get	425	558	424

warmed up
	noalloc	alloc	ret alloc
method	336	337
set	261	630
get	406	379	402

====No Escape Analysis enabled==== (-XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions
-XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=4G -XX:-DoEscapeAnalysis)
initial
	noalloc	alloc	ret alloc
method	532	3982
set	619	1850
get	429	1985	2096

warmed up
	noalloc	alloc	ret alloc
method	337	3546
set	299	1817
get	414	2133	2038

Run leveraging Oracle JRE 7u25 on a 2.3ghz 2012 Macbook Pro.

Re: escape analysis, stack allocation and scalar replacement for ValueHolders for non-primitive types

Posted by Lisen Mu <im...@gmail.com>.
As you said, as long as no impact on performance, it's ok. And It's great
to have easier way to write udf.
Thanks for the reply.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lisen Mu <im...@gmail.com>.