Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Yongzhi Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/17 02:05:42 UTC

Hadoop Security and Kerberos

Dear All,

I have some questions about the Kerberos support on Hadoop 1.0.3.

I have difficulty in finding some documents to configure the security
feature of HADOOP 1.0.3. Specifically, how should I configure the
Hadoop, so that I can use Kerberos? The only document related to my
question is CDH4 Security Guide
(https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDH4DOC/CDH4+Security+Guide), an
instruction about the security configuration for CloudEra Distributed
Hadoop. But I am not sure if this guide can be directly used to
configure the Apache Hadoop 1.0.3. Afterall, I don't know how many
differences exist between the CDH4 and Apache Hadoop 1.0.3.

I read some materials published by the hadoop development team,
including the documentation posted on the apache website
(http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.3/index.html) and the "Hadoop
Security Design" document proposed by Yahoo! in 2009. Unfortunately, I
still can not generate a clear vision after I read those documents.
All my questions are derived from one basic question: Are all of the
design features in "Hadoop Security Design" included in the release
1.0.3? If not, which of those features are introduced in release
1.0.3? Which features are included in the Hadoop 2.0? Which features
are still not implemented?

For example, the "Hadoop Security Design" document mentioned three
types of tokens (Delegation Token, Block Access Token and Job Token).
Did release 1.0.3 support all the three types of tokens?

In the 1.0.3 document "hdfs permission guide"
(http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.3/hdfs_permissions_guide.html), it
mentions that "In this release of Hadoop the identity of a client
process is just whatever the host operating system says it is. For
Unix-like systems, ......In the future there will be other ways of
establishing user identity (think Kerberos, LDAP, and others).
......". It seems the 1.0.3 does not fully support Kerberos. If in
that case, to what degree does the release 1.0.3 support Kerberos?

So my question is:

 1. Is there any document comparing the security feature in each
release of hadoop with the "Hadoop Security Design" proposed by
Yahoo!?

 2. In release 1.0.3, which component of hadoop can use Kerberos to
leverage security? In order to use the Kerberos, how should I
configure Hadoop?

I am not very familiar with Kerberos. So if I have some
misunderstanding, please feel free to point out.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Yongzhi

Re: Hadoop Security and Kerberos

Posted by Yongzhi Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Eugene

Thanks for your information. I have basically solved my question.

Yongzhi

Posted by Eugene Koontz <ek...@hiro-tan.org>.