Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/11 17:39:04 UTC

Re: "helper text" (like 'Search' on Wiki search input) for inputText

> On 5/10/06, Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you mean something like the t:inputTextHelp, already in tomahawk
> > [1]? I have just seen that it is not documented in the tomahawk
> > pages....
> >
> > [1] http://www.irian.at/myfaces/inputTextHelp.jsf

Ok.  I'm looking at this in depth, and it seems relatively
straight-forward, and it's a subclass of t:inputText so I guess
there's no need to merge the two unless we get to the point where we
have two subclass functions we want to use at the same time.

One limitation is that it appears to be impossible to ever return the
helper text as regular text.   Not sure of an easy way to deal with
this (or even if it's going to a be problem for me).   Maybe track
whether the value has been changed in a hidden field?

Re: "helper text" (like 'Search' on Wiki search input) for inputText

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 5/11/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/10/06, Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Do you mean something like the t:inputTextHelp, already in tomahawk
> > > [1]? I have just seen that it is not documented in the tomahawk
> > > pages....
> > >
> > > [1] http://www.irian.at/myfaces/inputTextHelp.jsf
>
> Ok.  I'm looking at this in depth, and it seems relatively
> straight-forward, and it's a subclass of t:inputText so I guess
> there's no need to merge the two unless we get to the point where we
> have two subclass functions we want to use at the same time.
>
> One limitation is that it appears to be impossible to ever return the
> helper text as regular text.   Not sure of an easy way to deal with
> this (or even if it's going to a be problem for me).   Maybe track
> whether the value has been changed in a hidden field?

I'll go ahead and write up some documentation on this component when I
get a chance.