Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by "Eric D. Nielsen" <ni...@MIT.EDU> on 2007/10/31 03:43:41 UTC

Multiple scheduled builds on the same project...

I'm a little confused over how multiple build definitiions on different
schedules interact within a project.  After reading several threads
it looks like my understand was correct, yet my installation doesn't
seem to behave as expected.

I have three schedules set up:
Hourly
Every four hours
Nightly

I have four build definitions
Hourly: clean test
Every four hours: clean integration-test
Nightly: clean install
Nightly: clean site site:deploy

When a SVN commit occurs, the next hourly build shows that it detects
the
changes and builds.  The nightly and four-hourly builds don't seem to
respond.
I thought that each schedule had its own "dirty" checker for SCM, so
that the fact
that their were no changes since the hourly build shouldn't stop
these other schedules
from running.  However when I looked in the continuum working
directly, I see only a
single checked out project directory, so I wouldn't expect it to
think that the project
needs to be built....

So my questions are

a) should the different builds function independently of each others
"updated-ness"

b) if yes, where should I look to debug this?
c) if no, what's the correct configuration to establish my desired
build schedules?

Thank you.

Eric

Re: Multiple scheduled builds on the same project...

Posted by Antonín Faltýnek <to...@kaf.cz>.
Dne středa 31. října 2007 Emmanuel Venisse napsal(a):
> Antonín Faltýnek a écrit :
> > Dne středa 31. října 2007 Eric D. Nielsen napsal(a):
> >> I'm a little confused over how multiple build definitiions on different
> >> schedules interact within a project.  After reading several threads
> >> it looks like my understand was correct, yet my installation doesn't
> >> seem to behave as expected.
> >>
> >> I have three schedules set up:
> >> Hourly
> >> Every four hours
> >> Nightly
> >>
> >> I have four build definitions
> >> Hourly: clean test
> >> Every four hours: clean integration-test
> >> Nightly: clean install
> >> Nightly: clean site site:deploy
> >>
> >> When a SVN commit occurs, the next hourly build shows that it detects
> >> the
> >> changes and builds.  The nightly and four-hourly builds don't seem to
> >> respond.
> >> I thought that each schedule had its own "dirty" checker for SCM, so
> >> that the fact
> >> that their were no changes since the hourly build shouldn't stop
> >> these other schedules
> >> from running.  However when I looked in the continuum working
> >> directly, I see only a
> >> single checked out project directory, so I wouldn't expect it to
> >> think that the project
> >> needs to be built....
> >>
> >> So my questions are
> >>
> >> a) should the different builds function independently of each others
> >> "updated-ness"
> >>
> >> b) if yes, where should I look to debug this?
> >> c) if no, what's the correct configuration to establish my desired
> >> build schedules?
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> Eric
> >
> > I had same issues Eric with version 1.0.3, then we upgraded to 1.1b3,
> > which enables configuration, that specific build definition should be
> > performed "ALWAYS", and that should be used "CVS CO" instead of "CVS
> > UPDATE".
>
> With the latest 1.1 beta (1.1-beta-4), you don't need to run a clean build
> with a checkout. All build definitions are independant and found all
> changes from other builds since last execution even if the update return
> nothing.

Thats great. This will help very much. Many thanks to whole continuum team.

> > These two features can help you.
> >
> > Also there is issue, that if you have several build definitions (as in
> > your example), then if your "nightly clean install" fail, but "nightly
> > site site:deploy" performs successfully, you will se green "success" icon
> > in project list and you have not good view on project state until you
> > check build results.
>
> We'll try to find a solution for this in 1.2, but your 2 nightly builddef
> "clean install" + "site site:deploy" can be rewrite with one builddef
> "clean install site-deploy"

Some times we had situation, that we need site even if, for example, fail any
junit test. So we've divided these to execuions into separate build defs.

Tonda

Re: Multiple scheduled builds on the same project...

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Antonín Faltýnek a écrit :
> Dne středa 31. října 2007 Eric D. Nielsen napsal(a):
>> I'm a little confused over how multiple build definitiions on different
>> schedules interact within a project.  After reading several threads
>> it looks like my understand was correct, yet my installation doesn't
>> seem to behave as expected.
>>
>> I have three schedules set up:
>> Hourly
>> Every four hours
>> Nightly
>>
>> I have four build definitions
>> Hourly: clean test
>> Every four hours: clean integration-test
>> Nightly: clean install
>> Nightly: clean site site:deploy
>>
>> When a SVN commit occurs, the next hourly build shows that it detects
>> the
>> changes and builds.  The nightly and four-hourly builds don't seem to
>> respond.
>> I thought that each schedule had its own "dirty" checker for SCM, so
>> that the fact
>> that their were no changes since the hourly build shouldn't stop
>> these other schedules
>> from running.  However when I looked in the continuum working
>> directly, I see only a
>> single checked out project directory, so I wouldn't expect it to
>> think that the project
>> needs to be built....
>>
>> So my questions are
>>
>> a) should the different builds function independently of each others
>> "updated-ness"
>>
>> b) if yes, where should I look to debug this?
>> c) if no, what's the correct configuration to establish my desired
>> build schedules?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Eric
>
> I had same issues Eric with version 1.0.3, then we upgraded to 1.1b3, which
> enables configuration, that specific build definition should be
> performed "ALWAYS", and that should be used "CVS CO" instead of "CVS UPDATE".

With the latest 1.1 beta (1.1-beta-4), you don't need to run a clean build with a checkout.
All build definitions are independant and found all changes from other builds since last execution even if the update return nothing.

> These two features can help you.
>
> Also there is issue, that if you have several build definitions (as in your
> example), then if your "nightly clean install" fail, but "nightly site
> site:deploy" performs successfully, you will se green "success" icon in
> project list and you have not good view on project state until you check
> build results.

We'll try to find a solution for this in 1.2, but your 2 nightly builddef "clean install" + "site site:deploy" can be rewrite with one builddef "clean install site-deploy"

Emmanuel

Posted by Antonín Faltýnek <to...@kaf.cz>.