Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Harold Carr <ha...@sun.com> on 2002/11/26 00:02:46 UTC

No more DTM IDs are available

What does:

(Location of error unknown)XSLT Error (javax.xml.transform.TransformerException): org.apache.xml.dtm.DTMException: No more DTM IDs are available

mean and how do I workaround it?

Re: No more DTM IDs are available

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
>I would suggest putting a -version flag into xalan to make it
>easy to tell.

Already supported. To find out what version of Xalan you're running,
invoke the org.apache.xalan.Version class, or add the -V switch when you
run org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process.

It's possible that older versions of Xalan are missing these features, but
there isn't much we can do about that... if they don't work, upgrade.
<grin/>

______________________________________
Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research

Re: No more DTM IDs are available

Posted by Harold Carr <ha...@sun.com>.
Hello Joseph

> It probably means you're using a very obsolete version of Xalan and
> should upgrade. We made some major architectural changes earlier this
> year which should have eliminated this issue for all but the most
> extreme pathological cases.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.  I have several version of
xalan installed 2.0.0, 2.3.1, 2.4.1 and I thought I was using 2.4.1 with
jdk 1.4.1_01.  However, once you pointed me in the right direction it
discovered I was using the older version.

I would suggest putting a -version flag into xalan to make it easy to
tell.

Thanks for your help.  I am no longer getting that error message.

Harold

Re: No more DTM IDs are available

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
On Monday, 11/25/2002 at 03:02 PST, Harold Carr <ha...@sun.com>
wrote:
> What does:
>       (Location of error unknown)XSLT Error
>        (javax.xml.transform.TransformerException):
org.apache.xml.dtm.DTMException: No
>        more DTM IDs are available
> mean and how do I workaround it?

It probably means you're using a very obsolete version of Xalan and should
upgrade. We made some major architectural changes earlier this year which
should have eliminated this issue for all but the most extreme
pathological cases.

(More details in the archives of this list and in Bugzilla, but basically
DTM IDs -- the "slots" occupied by documents and document fragments --
were a scarce resource in earlier versions of Xalan, due to a fixed
trade-off between number of documents and maximum size of each document.
The fix was to allow dynamically balancing those two requirements.)

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research