Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2016/12/08 09:33:40 UTC

Re: [ALL] Why is the component's web site part of the release vote?

On 2016-12-08, Gilles wrote:

> Hi.

> I've just noticed a small problem in the (staged) web site
> submitted for the release of Commons RNG v1.0:
>   http://home.apache.org/~erans/commons-rng-1.0-RC6-site/rat-report.html

> Since this must be fixed in the regenerated site will
> not reflect the released version number, why do we
> actually have to vote on the site?

IMHO we don't really vote on the site. For all the COMPRESS releases
I've always said "this is not the site I'm going to publish when the
release is final" and it's been fine. We can publish the site
independently of releases and maybe don't do that often enough.

The site is part of the vote template as it provides access to a couple
of reports that may be interesting to people voting. A RAT report that
shows a violation is a reason to vote with -1. But that doesn't mean we
are voting on the site.

Stefan

Re: [ALL] Why is the component's web site part of the release vote?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 December 2016 at 09:33, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2016-12-08, Gilles wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>
>> I've just noticed a small problem in the (staged) web site
>> submitted for the release of Commons RNG v1.0:
>>   http://home.apache.org/~erans/commons-rng-1.0-RC6-site/rat-report.html
>
>> Since this must be fixed in the regenerated site will
>> not reflect the released version number, why do we
>> actually have to vote on the site?
>
> IMHO we don't really vote on the site. For all the COMPRESS releases
> I've always said "this is not the site I'm going to publish when the
> release is final" and it's been fine. We can publish the site
> independently of releases and maybe don't do that often enough.
>
> The site is part of the vote template as it provides access to a couple
> of reports that may be interesting to people voting. A RAT report that
> shows a violation is a reason to vote with -1. But that doesn't mean we
> are voting on the site.

Agreed.
Also it's useful to have people review the site in case there are any
obvious mistakes in documentation.