Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Diwaker Gupta <di...@apache.org> on 2005/08/18 05:35:33 UTC

[views] head broken?

Folks,

Since the past 2 days, I've been getting this:

$ forrest site
X [0]                                     linkmap.html  BROKEN:
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Empty expression!

With $forrest run, I get:
Message: null
Sender: org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet
Source: Cocoon Servlet

Request URI
index.html

cause
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Empty expression!

request-uri
/index.html

A fresh forrest seed-sample with views enabled breaks identically.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net

Re: debugging views - short (was Re: [views] head broken?)

Posted by Diwaker Gupta <di...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 18 August 2005 4:32 pm, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> First general rule of debugging views is make sure your modified
> contracts are not causing the problem.

Bingo! :-)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Last night I got (for this project):
> java.lang.RuntimeException: ElemTemplateElement error: Found more than
> one template named: navigation-link-index-content

The improved error reporting I noted earlier has now gone into Cocoon
2.2 I've been using it in 2.1.8-dev recently. It is *awesome*, it tells
you which line of the sitemap was being executed when the error occurred
and shows you the path through the pipelines that got to that point.

If anyone finds the time it is worth doing an update of Cocoon for this
feature. Hopefully now Cheche has done the hard work it will be an easy job.

Ross

debugging views - short (was Re: [views] head broken?)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
Diwaker reported that his views head is broken.

Which views are you using? Homegrown or default?

When I agreed to Ross, I as well agreed to the method chosen:

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 12:36 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 10:53 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > > I just did:
> >
> > SVN up
> > cd main
> > build.sh clean
> > build.sh
> >
> > and still no problems.
> >

> Same here.

BTW there are some steps missing (building the plugins!):
cd $FORREST_HOME/etc
sh views.sh

This method means we have tested the default.fv. I tested on another
computer, on the one I am right now is only a patched version of forrest
which I will commit later on.

I have refactored code for the view resolver on my harddrive and got
weird error messaged last night. First I thought that is my new code,
but now I played around with some views and found out that it is only
happening in one project (that worked perfect before).

Last night I got (for this project):
java.lang.RuntimeException: ElemTemplateElement error: Found more than
one template named: navigation-link-index-content

That should not be possible. ;-)

I checked
a) http://localhost:8888/getStylesheet.xhtml.index
That worked perfectly without an error. No direct calls to
"navigation-link-index-content" found

b) http://localhost:8888/prepare.include.xhtml.index
Worked as well. I found indeed two times the
"navigation-link-index-content" template.

Now I was trying to figure out why only this one project had this bug.
The answer was that I modified a default contract in my local project
that now caused this bug.

First general rule of debugging views is make sure your modified
contracts are not causing the problem.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [views] head broken?

Posted by Diwaker Gupta <di...@apache.org>.
Sorry for the false alarm folks.

Here's a tip for the future:

$ svn diff (or svn status)

(maybe you made a change that doesn't collide with the latest SVN up, but
broke stuff!)

cheerios,
Diwaker

--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net

Re: [views] head broken?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > Since the past 2 days, I've been getting this:
> > >
> > > $ forrest site
> > > X [0]                                     linkmap.html  BROKEN:
> > > javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Empty expression!
> >
> > I've not sseen this problem.
> >
> > I just did:
> >
> > SVN up
> > cd main
> > build.sh clean
> > build.sh
> >
> > and still no problems.
>
> Same here.

I also did 'cd site-author; forrest site' all okay.
Then the seed site with "views" enabled. Looking good.

-David

Re: [views] head broken?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 10:53 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Since the past 2 days, I've been getting this:
> >
> > $ forrest site
> > X [0]                                     linkmap.html  BROKEN:
> > javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Empty expression!
>

> I've not sseen this problem.
>
> I just did:
>
> SVN up
> cd main