Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/09 13:49:29 UTC

unable to build trunk: missing dependency

hi,

i am unable to build jackrabbit trunk (r1043943).
maven is complaining about some missing dependency,

edu.ucar:netcdf:jar:4.2-min

am i the only one having problems?
what is this dependency for?

cheers
stefan

Re: unable to build trunk: missing dependency

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
never mind, the build succeeds again. seems like some temporary
maven repo problem.

however, i don't know what this jackrabbit-core dependency is good for...

cheers
stefan

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Jukka Zitting <jz...@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/12/10 14:08, Michael Dürig wrote:
>>
>> On 9.12.10 13:49, Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
>>>
>>> i am unable to build jackrabbit trunk (r1043943).
>>> maven is complaining about some missing dependency,
>>>
>>> edu.ucar:netcdf:jar:4.2-min
>>>
>>> am i the only one having problems?
>>> what is this dependency for?
>>
>> That dependency seems to come from Tika.
>
> Yes, Tika recently added support for some scientific data formats (see
> TIKA-400 [1]) using the NetCDF library.
>
> Support for those formats is probably not a high priority for most content
> repositories, but it doesn't cost much to have that feature included by
> default in Jackrabbit.

it does significantly increase the size of jackrabbit-standalone (+15%).
if it's not really needed by most users i'd rather not included it by default.
but that's just my personal view.

> When upgrading to Tika 0.8 in in JCR-2817 [2] I had to explicitly exclude
> the NetCDF library because of classpath problems raised in TIKA-556 [3].
> However, when testing 2.2.0 yesterday I found that we should either
> explicitly disable the relevant Tika parser due to the missing dependency or
> bring back the NetCDF 4.2-min dependency that was meanwhile fixed in
> TIKA-556. The latter seemed like a better option so I did that in JCR-2838
> [4].
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-400
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2817
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-556
> [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2838

i see, thanks for the background information.

cheers
stefan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <jz...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@adobe.com>.
That dependency seems to come from Tika. See
https://fisheye6.atlassian.com/changelog/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit-core/pom.xml?cs=1043618

Michael