Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alan Hancock <su...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/06 18:52:57 UTC

Virtual Hosting of Mutliple Domains

I added a host entry in the format of www.mydomain.com. Its a very simple
site with only an index.html so that I can get the config straight before
created a folder in the format mydomain.com is the
/usr/share/tomcat5/webapps directory and the index file is the only file in
the folder domain.com.

I used the tomcat manager to deploy the 'app'. When I access the site from
the link in the tomcat manager, the page is displayed as expected. when I
try to access it using the domain name on the local server, get a blank
screen. When I try to bring the page up from another computer, I get HTTP
400 - Bad Request

Any ideas? This seems simple enough, but I obviously missed a step
somewhere. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone that has had
similar issues and got it resolved. I need to get this going so that I can
move on to developing the sites. I need to deploy at least 3 domains on the
server.

I'm certain this is some simple embarrassing oversight of mine.

I'm running Tomcat 5.5.3 on Red Hat EL 5.1

RE: Virtual Hosting of Mutliple Domains

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Alan Hancock [mailto:suddenrush9595@gmail.com]
> Subject: Virtual Hosting of Mutliple Domains
>
> I'm running Tomcat 5.5.3 on Red Hat EL 5.1

1) If you're really running that old of a Tomcat version, you need to move up, ASAP.  5.5.3 is almost four years old, and many bugs have been fixed between then and the current 5.5.26.

2) If this is a 3rd-party repackaged version of Tomcat, throw it away and install a real one from tomcat.apache.org.  The 3rd-party ones provide no end of grief when doing anything other than the most basic operations.

3) Consult the Tomcat virtual hosting doc:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html
If that doesn't solve your problem, post your server.xml for people to look at.

 - Chuck

Re: Virtual Hosting of Mutliple Domains

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Alan Hancock wrote:
> I added a host entry in the format of www.mydomain.com. Its a very simple
> site with only an index.html so that I can get the config straight before
> created a folder in the format mydomain.com is the
> /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps directory and the index file is the only file in
> the folder domain.com.
>
> I used the tomcat manager to deploy the 'app'. When I access the site from
> the link in the tomcat manager, the page is displayed as expected. when I
> try to access it using the domain name on the local server, get a blank
> screen. When I try to bring the page up from another computer, I get HTTP
> 400 - Bad Request
>
> Any ideas? This seems simple enough, but I obviously missed a step
> somewhere. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone that has had
> similar issues and got it resolved. I need to get this going so that I can
> move on to developing the sites. I need to deploy at least 3 domains on the
> server.
>
> I'm certain this is some simple embarrassing oversight of mine.
>
> I'm running Tomcat 5.5.3 on Red Hat EL 5.1

For 6.0.x but it is basically the same in 5.5.x

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html

Mark