Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by vamsee movva <va...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/08 22:47:30 UTC

how to build 64-bit axis version

Hello all,
            I am new to axis, i have to work on 64-bit linux machine, i
didn't find 64-bit version of axis.
      Could some body explain me how to build axis.
Thanks in advance
cheers
 vamsee movva

Re: how to build 64-bit axis version

Posted by Javier Kohen <jk...@users.sourceforge.net>.
El lun, 08-01-2007 a las 16:10 -0600, vamsee movva escribió:
> Yes, i agree with you, we can use same jar files on 64-bit machine.
> then what is the point using 64-bit machines, i think if we use the
> same 32-bits jars , we won't get any change in performance.

It all depends on the underlying platform and the actual JVM
implementation, but some things come to mind: faster 64-bit integer
arithmetic (think long variables, which are 64-bit wide); access to
larger memory space; potentially more CPU registers available to the
JVM, which might lead to faster execution speed (on AMD64, compared to
i386); etc.

You can expect the 64-bit version of a vendor's compiler to generate the
exact same bytecode (.class, .jar, whatever) than its 32-bit
counterpart. The compiler just turns your source code into platform
*independent* bytecode.

Posted by "Yadav, Yogendra (IT)" <Yo...@morganstanley.com>.
One of the benefit is: 64bit processors and 64bit JVMs give you the ability to use heapsize bigger than 2/3GB (depends on OS configuration) which is a limitation on 32bit machines. The size is practically unlimited. This may mean better performance in some cases, specially for memory and CPU centric apps not so much for IO centric apps.

________________________________

Yes, i agree with you, we can use same jar files on 64-bit machine. then what is the point using 64-bit machines, i think if we use the same 32-bits jars , we won't get any change in performance.
Am i correct??
Thanking you and excuse my english
cheers
vamsee

Posted by vamsee movva <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Javier Kohen <jk...@users.sourceforge.net>.

Posted by "Yadav, Yogendra (IT)" <Yo...@morganstanley.com>.
The axis2 jars compiled with 32bit JVMs will work in 64bit JVMs without any problem no compilation is required, after all class files only have byte code in them.

Posted by vamsee movva <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Javier Kohen <jk...@users.sourceforge.net>.