Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Balcos, Michael" <Mi...@CenturyLink.com> on 2016/06/07 08:45:49 UTC

[users@httpd] SVN checkout of latest official Apache release

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I am unable to dig the information through my favorite search engine. Is it possible for me to svn checkout the latest official Apache release from the command line? I do a "svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/httpd/branchwa/2.2.x" and I get a development release of the 2.2 branch. I'd like to checkout the latest official release whenever I do a checkout. I want to do this for the 2.2 and 2.4 branches.

Michael Balcos
Application Engineer, Asia Pacific
9 Tai Seng Drive, #02-03 Geo-Tele Centre Lobby A
Singapore 535277
tel: +65.6505.5298 fax: +65.6505.5299
michael.balcos@centurylink.com<ma...@centurylink.com>

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.

Re: [users@httpd] SVN checkout of latest official Apache release

Posted by Frederik Nosi <fr...@postecom.it>.
Hi Christopher,

> Mike,
>
> On 6/8/16 12:10 PM, Mike Rumph wrote:
>> On 6/7/2016 5:54 PM, Balcos, Michael wrote:
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>

>>> Thank you for the reply. I believe that I\u2019ll have to write a
>>> script in order to know what is the latest official release of
>>> Apache 2.2 under
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags , and then do a
>>> svn checkout on the said release. I need to automatically get the
>>> latest official release of Apache 2.2 (and 2.4). I will proceed
>>> to write the script with the information you\u2019ve given. Thanks
>>> again. J
>>>

>> Hello Michael,
>>
>> Forgot to mention the obvious. The easiest way to know the latest
>> official release version numbers is from the Apache HTTP Server
>> project home page:  http://httpd.apache.org/
> I think Michael was hoping for an "always current" URL he could hit, lik
> e:
>
> $ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.2.x-latest
>
> A redirect that sent that to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.2.31 would be kind
> of nice.
>
> That would allow an automated script to always pull the latest
> version, rather than having to screen-scrape the project home page.

This reminded me of how it was handled on linux's kernel website, using
finger. Though now it doees not work anymore:

$ finger @kernel.org
[kernel.org]
finger: connect: Connection timed out
$

Anyway, they have this at least for this kind of stuff:

$ curl -s --silent  https://www.kernel.org/finger_banner
The latest mainline version of the Linux kernel is:           4.7-rc2
The latest stable 4.6 version of the Linux kernel is:         4.6.2
The latest stable 4.5 version of the Linux kernel is:         4.5.7
The latest longterm 4.4 version of the Linux kernel is:       4.4.13
The latest longterm 4.1 version of the Linux kernel is:       4.1.26
The latest longterm 3.18 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.18.35
The latest longterm 3.16 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.16.35
The latest longterm 3.14 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.14.72
The latest longterm 3.12 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.12.60
The latest longterm 3.10 version of the Linux kernel is:      3.10.101
The latest longterm 3.4 version of the Linux kernel is:       3.4.112
The latest longterm 3.2 version of the Linux kernel is:       3.2.80
The latest linux-next version of the Linux kernel is:         next-20160609
$

On apache a quick / dirty and probably buggy way can be:

$ lynx -dump httpd.apache.org | grep Released | awk '{ print $3 }'
2.4.20
2.2.31
$

But then you have to choose a mirror anyway.

Checking svn tags:

$ curl -sq http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/ | grep
"href=\"2.4" | cut -d\" -f2 | sort -t . -k3 -n
2.4.0/
2.4.1/
2.4.2/
2.4.3/
2.4.4/
2.4.5/
2.4.6/
2.4.7/
2.4.8/
2.4.9/
2.4.10/
2.4.11/
2.4.12/
2.4.13/
2.4.14/
2.4.15/
2.4.16/
2.4.17/
2.4.18/
2.4.19/
2.4.20/
$

But i dont think this a good idea.

Just digresssing, but IMHO something like this can be handy.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] SVN checkout of latest official Apache release

Posted by Mike Rumph <mi...@oracle.com>.
On 6/7/2016 5:54 PM, Balcos, Michael wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thank you for the reply. I believe that Ill have to write a script in
> order to know what is the latest official release of Apache 2.2 under
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags , and then do a svn
> checkout on the said release. I need to automatically get the latest
> official release of Apache 2.2 (and 2.4). I will proceed to write the
> script with the information youve given. Thanks again. J

Hello Michael,

Forgot to mention the obvious.
The easiest way to know the latest official release version numbers is
from the Apache HTTP Server project home page: http://httpd.apache.org/

Thanks,

Mike

Posted by "Balcos, Michael" <Mi...@CenturyLink.com>.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the reply. I believe that I'll have to write a script in order to know what is the latest official release of Apache 2.2 under https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags , and then do a svn checkout on the said release. I need to automatically get the latest official release of Apache 2.2 (and 2.4). I will proceed to write the script with the information you've given. Thanks again. :)

On 6/7/2016 1:45 AM, Balcos, Michael wrote:
I apologize if this question has been asked before. I am unable to dig the information through my favorite search engine. Is it possible for me to svn checkout the latest official Apache release from the command line? I do a "svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/httpd/branchwa/2.2.x" and I get a development release of the 2.2 branch. I'd like to checkout the latest official release whenever I do a checkout. I want to do this for the 2.2 and 2.4 branches.

Hello Michael,

The general checkout information for the Apache HTTP Server project is at http://httpd.apache.org/dev/devnotes.html .
You can see the full SVN directory structure with http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/ .
So the one you meant for the development branch of 2.2.x is "svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x<https://svn.apache.org/repos/httpd/branchwa/2.2.x>" .