Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Arjun Dhar <dh...@yahoo.com> on 2010/11/11 13:24:24 UTC

Re: Need Wicket Book

I've been playing with Wicket for a while now and i think in certain areas
(specially internal architecture) i need to still connect the dots at a
larger scale so was researching books.

"Wicket In Action" & "Enjoying Web Development with Wicket"  seem to emerge.

Wicket In Action --> Seems more conceptual (Deeper understanding)
Enjoying Web Development with Wicket --> For practical programming and
explaining existing components etc.

Anyone who has read both?
As a test I did not find the concept of "Versioning" mentioned in the TOC
atleast.

..and how come Igor hasn't written a book?, his answers are never more than
2 lines (except when he is pissed off)  heh :)

.anyway I dont mind buying both but one has to also read  them ;) [Phew i
prefer to Hack and try]
Any suggestions ?

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by "adam.gibbons" <ad...@gmail.com>.
Wicket in Action is very good, it covers all the topics you'd want and in a
reasonable amount of detail.
I got mine as a pdf, much more handy for searching for things than a paper
based one, plus better for the environment!

There really needs to be a whole book on models, well not just models, but
how to write decent production scale models that hook into things like
Spring and Hibernate.
I'll have to get the other book as I thought Wicket in Action was the only
one!

On 11 November 2010 12:24, Arjun Dhar [via Apache Wicket] <
ml-node+3037727-107613574-201041@n4.nabble.com<ml...@n4.nabble.com>

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Is "Arjun Dhar" some sort of alias for Martijn or Eelco? ;)

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Arjun Dhar <dh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
 I bought both the books. I've been going chapter by chapter on both and
then skipped the initial part because I'm familiar.

IMO Wicket in Action is a better book. What i really like is the way it
defines every concept. However I do have a suggestion for the next book; to
cater to medium to advanced users.

There is very little per section. Like more real life cases of the use of
fragments. Or references to existing source code for more complex scenarios
would also be sufficient to lead the reader to figure it themselves but
point them in the right direction. I guess thats what the user forum is for,
but its an expensive book and I'd prefer the book to tell me that :))

thanks everyone.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by dh...@yahoo.com.
Yes I did see one mention it; see my post. The other book . On my phone so can't remember the name.

They don't have a paypal option and I can't remember the name so that's bad marketing for them. But looks like a good book (I read the sample chapters)
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: "Frank Silbermann" <fr...@fedex.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:40:42
To: <us...@wicket.apache.org>

When I coded my application originally based on Wicket 1.2, I after looking at the DataTable example, I had to peruse the DataTable (and, for 1.2, DefaultDataTable) code to figure out what I needed to do for my task.

Even if I had had_Wicket_in_Action_ at my disposal back then, I think I still would have had to look at the DataTable implementation.

Perhaps with open source it is expected that users will have to look at the implementation code now and then, but I think for many people it is a psychological hurdle.  /Frank

Posted by Frank Silbermann <fr...@fedex.com>.

<fr...@fedex.com> wrote:
> Does any Wicket book describe the use of Wicket Extensions, such as
> DataTable?  I didn't see anything on that subject in _Wicket_in_Action_.

In order to keep the book manageable (in thickness) and to be able to
publish it on some derailed schedule, datatable and extensions friends
were not included. It would probably have costed another 20 pages or
so to properly discuss datatable, and another 20 to quickly summarize
each component in extensions.

We believe that the explanations offered in Wicket in Action should
provide anyone to fully grasp Wicket concepts and that should suffice
to have a really quick understanding of anything wicket extensions
throws at you (unless you look at modal window, or the tree components
;-)

Martijn

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

RE: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Frank Silbermann <fr...@fedex.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Mark Doyle <ma...@googlemail.com>.
You don't get royalties? :o

It's a great book by the way, in fact I think it's the perfect book to start
your Wicket career with.

Re: Need Wicket Book

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need Wicket Book