Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org> on 2004/06/11 12:17:27 UTC

CVS and Subversion

In reaction to some worried emails related to some projects moving from
CVS to Subversion.

->	Do not panic.

->	There is no ASF driven push (yet) for this move, no deadlines, no
forcing.

->	It is you, the developers yourself, in each project who decide for
-yourself-
	when and if it is time to go to Subversion - just let infrastructure
know
	and they'll help you with the transition.

->	But I urge you to give it a look - it is a darn cool piece of
technology; and
	it integrates very nicely with other tools.

And although it is true that Subversion is young and has a serious
footprint - it does have
one important feature for projects like the ASF:  it no longer
requires user accounts in order
to do commits. So in theory it is easier to secure a box and guard
against changes under the
hood; i.e. done to the repository directly. And thus tamper with our
record of history - as right
now developers -must- have r/w access to disk with the repository
itself on the CVS machine.
With about a thousand committers using several thousands of machines
back home and a
ssh/password based access controls it is a given that things leak over
time. And one leak is
quite enough.

Thus reducing history/repository access alone is something the ASF as
the legal steward
of the code cares about a lot. (Those who where around a few years back
during the last
compromise of the  CVS  machine may recall the countless hours of work
when we had to
pour over the CVS  records and backups to certify each and every file).
It also means that
subversion is easier to sandbox - thus further minimizing the damage
from 'real' exploits.

So all in all - it is a step  forward; but yes a relatively young step
- and that is why we are
not yet making this an ASF wide compulsory change.

Secondly Ben Laurie/infrastructure is working on a ASF wide Certificate
Authority in the
Bunker.co.uk using a machine specially donated by Ironsystems.com/Cliff
Skolnick. Once
that is in place we've added an other much needed layer which allows us
to continue to
scale in numbers of developers without suddenly needing a dozen full
time sysadmins :)
and it allows us to decrease the sensitive information, like password
files, which need
to be managed on a daily basis by multiple people on the machines even
more.

And ultimately it means that it becomes more and more possible to rely
less on a
'unix root' admin - and means that we can handle the mutations from the
then several
thousands of commtiters on a timely basis.

So in sort - and to stress: there are no deadlines, pushing or sticks
to get projects
to move from CVS to Subversion. Just the above carrots. But unless the
early projects
hit some major snags with subversion - DO expect the ASF to move there
in the next
two or three years - to allow us to continue to scale the
infrastructure along with the
number of developers and their demands while being good stewards to our
  code
heritage at the same time

On a positive note; do look at subversion; play with it - and note that
its modern
infrastructure and standard based protocols do allow for levels of
integration
previously hard to attain.

Thanks,

Dw,
--
Dirk-Willem van Gulik, President of the Apache Software Foundation.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 11 June 2004 23:23, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Subversion eats almost all CPU cycles on a 2.4 Linux Kernel, on updates and
> commits.

Am I the only one who have this problem???

I am only using SVN CLI.

[niclas@f2 niclas]$ uname -a
Linux f2.hedhman.org 2.4.20-20.9 #1 Mon Aug 18 11:45:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

I have 2 ATA disks on the primary controller, and they are mirrored with
SoftRAID.

No other software I have, shows this type of lock-up, unless running out  of
RAM and thrashing starts, in fact SVN behaves exactly like thrashing came
into the picture. Could that be the case??? I got 512MB and 'on a regular
day' "top" would report something like;

 01:56:59  up 2 days, 20:42, 13 users,  load average: 2.05, 0.97, 0.79
CPU states:   2.3% user   3.7% system   0.0% nice   0.0% iowait  93.8% idle
Mem:   513852k av,  507388k used,    6464k free,       0k shrd,   69212k buff
                    384884k actv,    1200k in_d,   11024k in_c
Swap: 1012072k av,   92016k used,  920056k free                  212484k
cached

(sorry for the bad formatting)
Which I interpret that 'cached memory' is plenty and will be released if
necessary. Or does the intensive file reads (writes?) upset the Linux
algorithm of 'cached' vs 'thrashed' memory?

Hmmmm.... <headache quickly approaching from too much thinking>

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.
On Jun 11, 2004, at 5:33 PM, Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 10:23, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> On Friday 11 June 2004 18:17, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>>
>>> On a positive note; do look at subversion; play with it - and note
>>> that
>>> its modern infrastructure and standard based protocols do allow for
>>> levels of integration previously hard to attain.
>>
>> Another note that noone seems to consider, which I think is fairly
>> important
>> (read annoying);
>>
>> Subversion eats almost all CPU cycles on a 2.4 Linux Kernel, on
>> updates and
>> commits. Often so much that even the mouse is no longer tracking, and
>> always
>> making my entire desktop fairly unresponsive. And for Avalon that
>> means
>> ~1minute on my system (svn up)...
>
> Very interesting... I have never seen that behavior on my system, and
> I've worked with some pretty large repositories too...

For what it is worth on good old Sparc 5 systems and FreeBSD on a normal
486 or a pentium; we're talking 1-2Mbyte of exec for CVS and checkout
times
in the order of a few minutes top's; with SVN we needed to increase the
build
partitions with  some 50 Mbytes and a normal check out on these
underspeced
machines with  SVN can easily take 30-45 minutes for a large tree (say
apache, apr, tomcat, axis and some other bits from a local/private SVN
repository). On something like a pentium 4 I've never noticed the
difference.

But those dated dinosaurs are not exactly the infrastructure's I would
optimize
the ASF's toolchain for.

Dw

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 10:23, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 11 June 2004 18:17, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>
> > On a positive note; do look at subversion; play with it - and note that
> > its modern infrastructure and standard based protocols do allow for
> > levels of integration previously hard to attain.
>
> Another note that noone seems to consider, which I think is fairly important
> (read annoying);
>
> Subversion eats almost all CPU cycles on a 2.4 Linux Kernel, on updates and
> commits. Often so much that even the mouse is no longer tracking, and always
> making my entire desktop fairly unresponsive. And for Avalon that means
> ~1minute on my system (svn up)...

Very interesting... I have never seen that behavior on my system, and
I've worked with some pretty large repositories too...

$ uname -a
Linux pantheon 2.4.19-pre10 #2 SMP Mon Jun 24 09:49:16 CDT 2002 i686
GNU/Linux

-Fitz

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.
* Niclas Hedhman (niclas@hedhman.org) wrote :
> Another note that noone seems to consider, which I think is fairly important
> (read annoying);
>
> Subversion eats almost all CPU cycles on a 2.4 Linux Kernel, on updates and
> commits. Often so much that even the mouse is no longer tracking, and always
> making my entire desktop fairly unresponsive. And for Avalon that means
> ~1minute on my system (svn up)...

Sounds like you don't have DMA enabled for your disks.
(I also have never seen this problem on a variety of machines)
-Thom

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
On Jun 11, 2004, at 5:23 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Subversion eats almost all CPU cycles on a 2.4 Linux Kernel, on
> updates and
> commits. Often so much that even the mouse is no longer tracking, and
> always
> making my entire desktop fairly unresponsive. And for Avalon that means
> ~1minute on my system (svn up)...

Weird, I've been using SVN from almost a year, way before I switched,
and never experienced/noticed that. Are you taking CLI subversion or
some GUI on top of it?

Ciao,
--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Felipe Leme <fe...@apache.org>.
I second what Niclas said. It's a rare situation, but when it happens,
it's a pain to recover (like, you press ^C because you regretted a
commit but you end up regretting have pressed ^C due to the mess it
caused :-)

Felipe

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Jim Moore <lo...@mooresoft.net>.
"atomic commits" is accurate -- the transactional part is a consequence of
it.  It's just that, in this case, the side-effect is cooler than the
"primary" feature.

But you're right in that it is different than most databases where you can't
usually get to the transaction information once it's committed; in SVN the
revision number is (effectively) the transaction id.  In fact, what SVN
stores is more a "transaction log" than anything.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.
On Jun 14, 2004, at 6:04 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>
>> On Jun 11, 2004, at 10:35 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> Brian McCallister wrote:

.. snipped subtle umask magic which needs to fit the
... operational culture of the community.
..
>>> good hint, thanks.
>>>
>> As we had some conflicting requirements we pretty much killed all use
>> of svn over ssh - and forced people to use HTTP/DAV (even on
>> localhost). That  solved 80% of those problems :-)
>
> can you elaborate more on this? [very interested]

Eh not much to elaborate - by removing SSH and direct repo
access/direct accounts - and only allowing a) svn through
apache (and some backup scripts) the whole per-user umask, group access
persm etc goes away - there is just the
user ID of the web server and the uid of hte backup and that is it.
(Though backup and recovery has a bit more
perms than I like (and we get nice certificate based user mngt - which
is really nice as you aint have to keep no
stinking per user secrets).

Dw

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Brian McCallister wrote:

> [mccallister@kamajii mccallister]$ umask
> umask 0002
>
> [mccallister@kamajii mccallister]$ umask -S
> u=rwx,g=rwx,o=rx
>
> and set the group sticky bit on the repository home so that group is
> preserved

good hint, thanks.

--
Stefano.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 13:15, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>>>Problem being (though) is that I've seen Subversion (1.0.2 under Linux)
>>>fail right because of that... Somehow an "atomic" transaction was left
>>>open on the server, don't ask me why...
>>>
>>>Basically, after that commit failed, the entire repository was so slow
>>>that most TCP/IP connections were failing after 3 minutes for timeouts...
>>>
>>>Only solution was to run a "svn recover" followed by a "svn rmtxt" and
>>>again followed by another "svn recover"...
>>
>>I am experiencing random svn corruptions with svnserve over ssh with svn
>>1.0
>

> Please be careful to distinguish "corruption" from "my repository needs
> to have 'svnadmin recover' run on it."
>
> Could you be running into a repository permissions error?
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#permissions
>

>>(how do I find out the real version btw? why isn't svn -v|--version
>>give me the version?) over linux 2.6.4
>>
>>any clue?
>

> 'svn --version' works for me:
>
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.0.2 (r9423)
>    compiled Apr 28 2004, 17:16:48

hit me with a baseball bat!

--
Stefano, crawling back in his corner :-(

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 13:15, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > On 11 Jun 2004, at 22:02, Jim Moore wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, the "all or nothing" part of the transaction isn't a big deal
> >> because, as you said, it's very rare that a commit in CVS would fail.
> >

> > Problem being (though) is that I've seen Subversion (1.0.2 under Linux)
> > fail right because of that... Somehow an "atomic" transaction was left
> > open on the server, don't ask me why...
> >
> > Basically, after that commit failed, the entire repository was so slow
> > that most TCP/IP connections were failing after 3 minutes for timeouts...
> >
> > Only solution was to run a "svn recover" followed by a "svn rmtxt" and
> > again followed by another "svn recover"...
>
> I am experiencing random svn corruptions with svnserve over ssh with svn
> 1.0

Please be careful to distinguish "corruption" from "my repository needs
to have 'svnadmin recover' run on it."

Could you be running into a repository permissions error?

http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#permissions

> (how do I find out the real version btw? why isn't svn -v|--version
> give me the version?) over linux 2.6.4
>
> any clue?

'svn --version' works for me:

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.0.2 (r9423)
   compiled Apr 28 2004, 17:16:48

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 17:43, James Duncan Davidson wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2004, at 08:45, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > That is when I started feeling that having all my history in big
> > berkeley DB files which I could not "cat" was kinda scary...
>
> Yeah, it's a bit scary for the largish project that I'm currently
> setting up on SVN as well. But we're working around this by using a
> derivative of hot-backup.py to keep multiple point-in-time backups  of
> the complete database around as well as dumps of the repository
> alongside.

In Subversion 1.1.0, you will be able to choose between BDB and new
filesystem backend 'libsvn_fs_fs' that uses flat files to store all
data.  I suspect that a lot of people will prefer this option for
smaller projects.

> Disk is cheeeap. :)

Amen, brother!

-Fitz

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.
On Jun 14, 2004, at 8:37 AM, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:45:31 +0900, Pier Fumagalli
> <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:
>
>> That is when I started feeling that having all my history in big
>> berkeley DB files which I could not "cat" was kinda scary...
>
> That's why the Subversion developers kindly gave us all sorts of ways
> to make backups:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/book.html#svn-ch-5-sect-3.6
>
> :-)

Aye - and they (including CVS to massage them) have saved my ass on an
almost monthly basis prior to 1.0.2. :-(

Dw

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Ask Bjørn Hansen <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 11 Jun 2004, at 22:02, Jim Moore wrote:

> Actually, the "all or nothing" part of the transaction isn't a big deal
> because, as you said, it's very rare that a commit in CVS would fail.

Problem being (though) is that I've seen Subversion (1.0.2 under Linux)
fail right because of that... Somehow an "atomic" transaction was left
open on the server, don't ask me why...

Basically, after that commit failed, the entire repository was so slow
that most TCP/IP connections were failing after 3 minutes for
timeouts...

Only solution was to run a "svn recover" followed by a "svn rmtxt" and
again followed by another "svn recover"...

That is when I started feeling that having all my history in big
berkeley DB files which I could not "cat" was kinda scary...

But on the other hand, we (VNU, at work) are still using subversion
because of all its other features (moving, copying,
tag^H^H^Hbranch^H^H^H^H^Hcopying) and its quite impressive speed over
slow/remote networks...

	Pier

Re: CVS and Subversion

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 08:17, Brian McCallister wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2004, at 8:21 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> >> 2) How easy is it to migrate an existing CVS repo to subversion?
> >

> > infra has nifty scripts to convert everything including branches and
> > history.
>
> Subversion ships with a cvs2svn script which takes a long time to run,
> but does a pretty good conversion job.

I've spent the month of May substantially rewriting cvs2svn, and
although I'm not done yet, it's already faster--especially on Really
Large multi-gigabyte repositories.

> We used it on a big, hairy, cvs
> repository where I work and it performed flawlessly. Interestingly, it
> attempts to atomize commits by assuming anything in a 5 minute window
> is one commit.

It's not quite that simple...multiple CVS revisions committed in the
same 5 minute window *also* with the same author and the same log
message are treated as as a single Subversion commit (with a few
edge-case exceptions).

-Fitz

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.

On Jun 11, 2004, at 8:21 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>
>> Heu.., a couple of questions from the totally ignorant (me).
>>
>> 1) what is an atomic commit? Do I need to wear a
>> irradiation-protective suit to use it?
>

> "Atomic" as in "transaction" -- either all or nothing, should not
> crash in-between. I've not seen such crashes with CVS, but apparently
> other people encountered them.

I had meant that all of the changes checked in with a given commit are
included in one "bunch." The commit can be rolled back as a whole
instead of having to roll back each file (or rollback to a date, or
tag). Basically like putting a cheap tag on every commit,
automagically, which respects deletes, adds, moves in an expected
manner.

>> 2) How easy is it to migrate an existing CVS repo to subversion?
>

> infra has nifty scripts to convert everything including branches and
> history.

Subversion ships with a cvs2svn script which takes a long time to run,
but does a pretty good conversion job. We used it on a big, hairy, cvs

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Heu.., a couple of questions from the totally ignorant (me).
>
> 1) what is an atomic commit? Do I need to wear a
> irradiation-protective suit to use it?

"Atomic" as in "transaction" -- either all or nothing, should not crash
in-between. I've not seen such crashes with CVS, but apparently other
people encountered them.

> 2) How easy is it to migrate an existing CVS repo to subversion?

infra has nifty scripts to convert everything including branches and
history.

Vadim

> Thanks in advance for your response, even if it is RTFM.
>
> At 01:04 PM 6/11/2004, Brian McCallister wrote:
>
>> I think the best way to sell Subversion is "atomic commits" and
>> "move/rename keeps history" (big seller to the Java "we love cheap
>> rename in [Eclipse | IDEA | JDEE]" crowd) ;-)
>>
>> Now we just need to talk about adding dummy -dP flags to update so
>> that I can stop getting errors...
>>
>> Did I mention "atomic commits" ?
>>
>> -Brian
>>
>> ps: atomic commits

..

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
> [...]

>>to move from CVS to Subversion. Just the above carrots. But unless the
>>early projects
>>hit some major snags with subversion - DO expect the ASF to move there in
>>the next
>>two or three years - to allow us to continue to scale the infrastructure
>>along with the
>>number of developers and their demands while being good stewards to our  code
>>heritage at the same time
>>
>>On a positive note; do look at subversion; play with it - and note that
>>its modern
>>infrastructure and standard based protocols do allow for levels of
>>integration
>>previously hard to attain.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Dw,
>>--
>>Dirk-Willem van Gulik, President of the Apache Software Foundation.

Ceki Gülcü

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 08:29, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > I know of no uses cases for what you're describing... do you have one?
>
> Two of them.
>
> 1) Common for a piece of taggable code to inherit something outside of its
> directory, usually either a super-build.xml, or a super-project.xml. It's
> hard to tag these when you tag the directory. This one is possible, but
> quite a pain in SVN. I had to checkout just my releases/ directory, then
> do manual copying. I suspect that it wasted diskspace on the server as it
> wasn't url-url.

Nope.  If there are no content differences, the Subversion repository
will do the most efficient thing and just copy the node (not the
contents).

> 2) I suspect others do this differently, but I've often released things
> from Jakarta Commons where we've not included a certain directory or bunch
> of files in the release because they're not ready yet. In this case, they
> shouldn't be tagged with that release either.

Fair enough.  Those two cases are a bit difficult to manage in
Subversion.

> One option here might be to branch the code, then delete from the branch
> the things you don't want. As branching and tagging seem to be the same
> thing in SVN, I suspect this would work. Process change.

Yes it would.

> Yep. I suspect the solution is to modify the development process when it
> has problems, but I think I heard something about subversion supporting a
> property-tagging system at some point in the future that would work much
> like CVS? This was 3rd hand information, and you'd know better :)

No clue what this is about.  Subversion does have the concept of
per-node (file or directory) metadata, and per-revision
metadata--they're called 'properties' and 'revision properties'
respectively.

See the section on Properties in the Subversion book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch07s02.html

-Fitz

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.
On Jun 11, 2004, at 3:29 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

>> I know of no uses cases for what you're describing... do you have one?
>
> Two of them.
>
> 1) Common for a piece of taggable code to inherit something outside of
> its
..
> 2) I suspect others do this differently, but I've often released things

 From the peanut gallery - We encounter those a lot as well esp. with
code where
some files in a release where certified by some outside agency or link
to something
higher up - like the meta makefiles.

Dw

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 07:20, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > 2) Tagging is clumsy. (I may just not be seeing it in the manual). It
> > seems hard to tag a directory and files not in that directory with a tag,
> > or tag a directory without tagging every file in it.
>
> Since a tag is essentially a 'copy' in Subversion, it is near impossible
> to 'tag' a directory without tagging its contents (to do so, you would
> have to copy the directory and then delete all of its contents).  FWIW,
> you can copy a single file into the tags directory--that's essentially
> tagging a file, although it's not typically done that way.
>
> I know of no uses cases for what you're describing... do you have one?

Two of them.

1) Common for a piece of taggable code to inherit something outside of its
directory, usually either a super-build.xml, or a super-project.xml. It's
hard to tag these when you tag the directory. This one is possible, but
quite a pain in SVN. I had to checkout just my releases/ directory, then
do manual copying. I suspect that it wasted diskspace on the server as it
wasn't url-url.

2) I suspect others do this differently, but I've often released things
from Jakarta Commons where we've not included a certain directory or bunch
of files in the release because they're not ready yet. In this case, they
shouldn't be tagged with that release either.

One option here might be to branch the code, then delete from the branch
the things you don't want. As branching and tagging seem to be the same
thing in SVN, I suspect this would work. Process change.

> Subversion has constant time O(1) tagging (copying).  That means that
> you can tag (copy) a tree containing 50,000 files in about 2 seconds.*

Yep, speed is nice. Especially with lots of binaries in there, and the
smaller space on the server too.

> This is one of several areas that Subversion is different from CVS.

Yep. I suspect the solution is to modify the development process when it
has problems, but I think I heard something about subversion supporting a
property-tagging system at some point in the future that would work much
like CVS? This was 3rd hand information, and you'd know better :)

I'm still a newbie to svn, but am generally finding svn a simple change on
the client side.

Hen

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 07:20, Henri Yandell wrote:

> 2) Tagging is clumsy. (I may just not be seeing it in the manual). It
> seems hard to tag a directory and files not in that directory with a tag,
> or tag a directory without tagging every file in it.

Since a tag is essentially a 'copy' in Subversion, it is near impossible
to 'tag' a directory without tagging its contents (to do so, you would
have to copy the directory and then delete all of its contents).  FWIW,
you can copy a single file into the tags directory--that's essentially
tagging a file, although it's not typically done that way.

I know of no uses cases for what you're describing... do you have one?

Subversion has constant time O(1) tagging (copying).  That means that
you can tag (copy) a tree containing 50,000 files in about 2 seconds.*
In CVS, that will take you somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 minutes
since CVS's tagging is O(n).  The same goes for branching.  Oh and this
copy only takes a tiny amount of space in the Subversion repository.

* This is true of URL to URL copies only--if you copy a huge tree to
another location in your working copy, of course, Subversion will have
to take time to copy the files on your filesystem.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 06:13:17PM +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> Cause it actually lives on another machine than the repo (with
> an ocean in between). We tried this however for the toy site
> wleiden.webweaving.org:8080/svn/node-config/ (just 3.5Gb and
> a few thousands commits sofar) and ran into too many puzzles;
> like index.html; ensuring mod_perl did the right thing, etc. Though
> I am sure it is possible.

No, actually it isn't. Too many of the standard Apache modules (such as
mod_autoindex and mod_dir) look directly into the filesystem. We need a
"data store" mechanism in core Apache which those modules can use to query
"filesystem-ish" properties. We've discussed this a number of times on the
httpd developer list.

mod_perl could be used to write some filters to apply to the SVN content,
but some serious work in mod_perl (and possibly core apache) would be
needed for SVN to serve up Perl scripts to mod_perl to execute to generate
the content.

mod_php can't integrate well; the PHP parser actually requires a handle
onto the filesystem, so it isn't possible at this time to pick up scripts
from arbitrary data stores.

So... if you have anything beyond a basic site, you'd need to use Dirk's
suggestion of an auto-checkout (heck, you need it simply for index.html).
Eventually, we'll have better support in core Apache, but don't hold your
breath until then. It might be a while :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.
On Jun 14, 2004, at 6:02 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>
>> On Jun 11, 2004, at 2:20 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>> 1) Website needs to be in SVN, else we'll still need accounts for
>>> everyone
>>> who wants to modify their site annd do releases. Are the SVN based
>>> projects taking an approach that handles this? Will it?

>> In the company we right now use a small script, triggered by
>> the commmit - which syncs the website up everytime a
>> commit is made to the released branch/tag.

> curious, why not mod_proxy-it directly?

Cause it actually lives on another machine than the repo (with
an ocean in between). We tried this however for the toy site
wleiden.webweaving.org:8080/svn/node-config/ (just 3.5Gb and
a few thousands commits sofar) and ran into too many puzzles;
like index.html; ensuring mod_perl did the right thing, etc. Though
I am sure it is possible.

Dw.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Two biggest problems I forsee with subversion:

1) Website needs to be in SVN, else we'll still need accounts for everyone
who wants to modify their site annd do releases. Are the SVN based
projects taking an approach that handles this? Will it?

2) Tagging is clumsy. (I may just not be seeing it in the manual). It
seems hard to tag a directory and files not in that directory with a tag,
or tag a directory without tagging every file in it.

Otherwise I'm enjoying using subversion. I'm going to try having a
structure of:

/site/
/trunk/
/distributions/
/jar-repository/

and see if I can manage to not give out any accounts.

Hen

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au>.
Thanks Dirk for addressing this issue, and thanks Glen for raising it.
It's a small nag I have had in the back of my mind for some time.

Peter

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.
On Jun 12, 2004, at 2:51 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:

> I think it should be noted, for those unaware, that
> the ASF Chairman is a team member on the Subversion
> project.  (http://www.lyra.org/greg/)

Historically within the ASF people have separated their private life,
role-at-work and other hobby-horses and their  hat's quite well. And I
strongly believe that Greg is doing so carefully as well.

> Even if we're not being forced into SVN, this is
> something the Apache teams should be informed of.

I personally hope that things are kept separate. A lot of us have alter
ego's working on other open source projects, on standards bodies and on
proprietary code - and we really need to ensure that sound engineering
judgement is not compromised by this - instead it should be something
which strengthens.

But I can see that it may seem that there is a certain level of
evangelizing akin to the 'take-it-all' that seen in the
gnu/libtool/configure or in the qmail/djb-dns in that part of the
world. Sofar however I completely trust the Infrastructure team to help
the PMCs build the right infrastructure for the developers and for ASF
(rather than force the ASF to use Subversion for market-share reasons)
- and I've only seen the most professional of behaviours.

DO bear in mind that the ideas and concepts going into subversion
derive directly from the ASF: it tries to address, fix or mitigate
every fault and issue we have had over the past 5+ years in the ASF. So
it is hard not to see this as 'nearly ideal' from a functional and code
mntg perspective.

Ultimately however it is not the board, chariman or ASF who decides
what each projects use - that is something for each PMC and
each committer/developer community themselves to determine. And the
role of the ASF itself is limited to long term code custodianship which
is far removed from the operational choice of a code mngt platform once
the legal auditability and reconstruction needs are met.

Dw

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Glen,

There are a number of ASF members and committers who are involved in
the Subversion project.  This has been well known since at least 2001.
Every year at ApacheCon there has been a presentation on Subversion.
Many of us have been waiting for Subversion to be ready, and this
pre-dates Greg's chairmanship.

There are a number of technical reasons why Subversion is preferable to
CVS.   Please remember that the people who are running the ASF
infrastructure are volunteers, in addition to be developers on Apache
projects.  Anything that we can do to ease the burden on these folks is
a benefit to the entire foundation.   Of course more volunteers to help
with infrastructure tasks would be good too.

Ted

On Jun 11, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Glen Mazza wrote:

> Dirk-Willem,
>
> I think it should be noted, for those unaware, that
> the ASF Chairman is a team member on the Subversion
> project.  (http://www.lyra.org/greg/)
>
> Even if we're not being forced into SVN, this is
> something the Apache teams should be informed of.
>
> Glen
>
> --- Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
> wrote:
>> In reaction to some worried emails related to some
>> projects moving from
>> CVS to Subversion.
>>
>> ->	Do not panic.
>>
>> ->	There is no ASF driven push (yet) for this move,
>> no deadlines, no
>> forcing.

----
Ted Leung                          Blog: <http://www.sauria.com/blog>
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42

Re: CVS and Subversion

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Dirk-Willem,