Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/29 01:37:35 UTC

Simply quits while processing

I have a simple app which extracts text from a directory of Excel files. I'm
using the POI HSSF event model to iterate through the cells.

After a few dozen files have been processed, the app simply quits in the
middle of processing a file. The JVM terminates. There are no error
messages. Nothing.

It always quits while processing the same file, unless I remove that
particular file from the directory. In that case, it will process a few more
before quitting.

When I step through the code using a debugger (Eclipse), the problem does
not occur. I tried varying the amount of memory available to the JVM,
thinking that it was dying on a silent out-of-memory error, but that did not
affect the number of files processed.

What can possibly be causing this problem?

RE: Simply quits while processing

Posted by Michael Zalewski <za...@optonline.net>.
I agree with Danny. You are probably running in a different JVM than the one
on which you compiled.

I have seen this problem happen occasionally when compiling on a lower
version of the JVM, then running on a higher version with JIT compiler
enabled. This is especially true if the older version is 1.2 or less, and
the newer version is 1.3 or more. The problem seems to be resolved by either
a) compiling in the same version of Java as which you run or b) turning off
JIT compilation when you run the compiled Java application.

Since you say you have done this in Eclipse,  I thought at first that this
was not the issue (since you would likely be compiling in at least 1.3) Open
your Java Build Path (from Project Properties), and look at the Libraries
tab. You should see the version of the JRE used by eclipse when you compile.
It's probably 1.4.1, or at least 1.3.

Then go to the home directory of your java application. From that directory,
type 'java -fullversion', and see if the versions match

Michael Zalewski

have you tried a different jvm? other than that nothing screams out as
an obvious problem.

Posted by Danny Mui <da...@muibros.com>.
oh weird.