Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/02 10:52:41 UTC

Are we mis-using javac?

Spotted via twitter:

http://blog.ltgt.net/most-build-tools-misuse-javac/

Thoughts?

Re: Are we mis-using javac?

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
I still think setting the -source and -target is a good thing, even though
it is 1.5. IMHO It is better to have an older version here than the latest
(or none aka auto resolve to latest). This will increase its usability by
other projects/tools and will make users aware of the consequences if they
want to use a newer JDK.
In general you should also specify some enforcer-rules or animal-sniffer,
but do users know that? The source/target can act as the first check.

Toolchain support will improve in Maven Core for the next coming releases.

Biggest concern is indeed detecting if there's a recompile required. The
analysis looks detailed enough and most of them seem solvable.

thanks,
Robert

ps. I don't mind pushing source+target to 1.6, which seems to be a good
minimum nowadays.

Re: Are we mis-using javac?

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
as far as I understand,
the assumption there is that all tools do things wrong when
includes/excludes are used or when source files are included in jar files
on classpath..
The first one one always considered a corner case AFAIK and we are
suggesting people with that setup to break up into multiple projects?
and the second one I would consider a bug on the side of a tool that
actually bundles source files along the binary files.

Milos