Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jude DaShiell <jd...@panix.com> on 2014/09/04 18:52:34 UTC

large spam messages

Since spamassassin cannot handle large spam over 2MB in size, what can be
used to handle that class of junk?  Maybe some of you have got messages
from 3 Bureau Monitoring.  I get those probably twice daily and much as I
dislike it, I will probably terminate that other internet account when
time for it runs out.
Another account I have uses the web version of spamassassin so when I have
to start using that I'll find out what it can do.

Re: large spam messages

Posted by Ian Zimmerman <it...@buug.org>.
On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 12:52:34 -0400 (EDT),
Jude DaShiell <jd...@panix.com> wrote:

Jude> Since spamassassin cannot handle large spam over 2MB in size, what
Jude> can be used to handle that class of junk?

I use a script on the MX host to MIME reshape all large messages, dropping
all non-text attachments, and save them to files there, before forwarding
to my IMAP server.  If such a message is ham (which is almost never) it
is easy enough to download the files after the fact.

Can share the script for the asking.

Local Variables:
mode:claws-external
End:

Re: large spam messages

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 9/4/2014 12:52 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Since spamassassin cannot handle large spam over 2MB in size, what can
> be used to handle that class of junk?  Maybe some of you have got
> messages from 3 Bureau Monitoring.  I get those probably twice daily
> and much as I dislike it, I will probably terminate that other
> internet account when time for it runs out.
> Another account I have uses the web version of spamassassin so when I
> have to start using that I'll find out what it can do.
First, SpamAssassin I believe handles a max of 256MB unless via SpamC/D.

Beyond that, I use 3 key techniques which might help you:

First, I raise and lower the limit based on load average on the system.
Second, I truncate the data at the limit from #1 and use the results
with fairly good results.
Third, I blacklist certain attachments / images by hashing the content.

Regards,
KAM