Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Evgeny Kotkov <ev...@visualsvn.com> on 2016/05/10 15:26:00 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1743183 - in /subversion/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline: svnrdump_tests.py svntest/actions.py svntest/main.py svntest/sandbox.py svntest/verify.py svntest/wc.py

Stefan Fuhrmann <st...@apache.org> writes:

> * subversion/tests/cmdline/svntest/actions.py
>   (run_and_verify_dump): If we accept any output, "None" is the better
>                          option as it works with both Python versions.

[...]

>    exit_code, output, errput = run_and_verify_svnadmin(
> -                                verify.AnyOutput, [],
> +                                None, [],
>                                  'dump', '--quiet', repo_dir, *args)

None and AnyOutput aren't the same, since AnyOutput guards against
unexpected empty output.

Are we okay with this behavior change for compatibility purposes?

Regards,
Evgeny Kotkov

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 10.05.2016 17:26, Evgeny Kotkov wrote:
> Stefan Fuhrmann <st...@apache.org> writes:
>
>> * subversion/tests/cmdline/svntest/actions.py
>>   (run_and_verify_dump): If we accept any output, "None" is the better
>>                          option as it works with both Python versions.
> [...]
>
>>    exit_code, output, errput = run_and_verify_svnadmin(
>> -                                verify.AnyOutput, [],
>> +                                None, [],
>>                                  'dump', '--quiet', repo_dir, *args)
> None and AnyOutput aren't the same, since AnyOutput guards against
> unexpected empty output.
>
> Are we okay with this behavior change for compatibility purposes?

I'm pretty sure definitely not. Why wouldn't verify.AnyOutput work with
both Python versions? It's our code after all.

-- Brane

Posted by Stefan Fuhrmann <st...@apache.org>.
On 10.05.2016 17:26, Evgeny Kotkov wrote:
> Stefan Fuhrmann <st...@apache.org> writes:
>
>> * subversion/tests/cmdline/svntest/actions.py
>>    (run_and_verify_dump): If we accept any output, "None" is the better
>>                           option as it works with both Python versions.
> [...]
>
>>     exit_code, output, errput = run_and_verify_svnadmin(
>> -                                verify.AnyOutput, [],
>> +                                None, [],
>>                                   'dump', '--quiet', repo_dir, *args)
> None and AnyOutput aren't the same, since AnyOutput guards against
> unexpected empty output.
>
> Are we okay with this behavior change for compatibility purposes?
The behavioural change was not intended.
'any' is not the most precise word in the English language ...

Turns out that the other patches already achieved
whatever this change was supposed to do and the
original code got re-instantiated in r1743257.

-- Stefan^2.