Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Dean Hiller <de...@alvazan.com> on 2011/07/22 22:57:23 UTC

question on setup for writes into 2 datacenters

Ideally, we would want to have a replication factor of 4, and a minimum
write consistency of 2 (which looking at the default in cassandra.yaml is to
memory first with asynch to disk...perfect so far!!!)

Now, obviously, I can get the partitioner setup to make sure I get 2
replicas in each data center.  The next thing I would want to guarantee
however is that if a write came into datacenter 1, it would write to the two
nodes in datacenter 1 and asynchronously replicate to datacenter 2.  Is this
possible?  Does cassandra already handle that or is there something I could
do to get cassandra to do that?

In this mode, I believe I can have both datacenters be live as well as be
backup for the other not wasting resources.

thanks,
Dean

Re: question on setup for writes into 2 datacenters

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@alvazan.com>.
thanks this is perfect...yeah, we want 4 nodes(2 in each data center) so
just a bit more than 3 ;) so we can have both datacenters be active at the
same time and not have to write to the other datacenter except in the
background.  This is perfect......hbase couldn't do this which I wanted
badly along with the in-memory write and write to disk in the background.
thanks!!!!
Dean

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Posted by Sameer Farooqui <ca...@gmail.com>.