Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/08/08 12:25:06 UTC

Re: [classlib] Applying HARMONY-1084 - 5.0 patches

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Once I apply the HARMONY-1084 patches, the classlib code will only be
> usable with the new IBM VME v4 available now from Developerworks [1].

We need to make sure that DRLVM is ready first, although looking at the
the patch, I'm not sure there's much to be done.  Worrysome, given the
boot classpath property.

I am in the process of running for a plane. (There's news...)  Can
someone verify that there will be no problem w/ DRLVM before we do this?

> Can other VM folk let me know if/when they are comfortable with that
> patch being applied?  The contents were described by Oliver, and the
> patch file is short enough to read.
>
> The only potential breakages I see for you are the renaming of a system
> property, and the launcher looking for a different DLL name.

Right - that was my worry, the system property, but I didn't find that
on first pass.

The launcher change is irrelevant for now, since there are other issues
that need to be fixed w/ DRLVM before it works properly w/ the launcher,
where "properly" is defined as "having all the DRLVM artifacts in a
/default or other subdirectory of jre/bin" :)

geir

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 8 August 2006 at 12:26, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> > The launcher changes wouldn't affect DRLVM, and it seems like the
> > com.ibm.oti -> org.apache.harmony wouldn't either, strangely...
>
> Must be using it's own equivalent property.
>
> And generating 5.0 classfiles is ok, right?
>
> So are we good to go?

Well, I can run HelloWorld on a drlvm using a 5.0-patched classlib.  So
I'd say we should go for it.

-Mark.

Re: [classlib] Applying HARMONY-1084 - 5.0 patches

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> The launcher changes wouldn't affect DRLVM, and it seems like the
> com.ibm.oti -> org.apache.harmony wouldn't either, strangely...

Must be using it's own equivalent property.

And generating 5.0 classfiles is ok, right?

So are we good to go?

Tim

> geir
>
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>>>
>>> We need to make sure that DRLVM is ready first, although looking at the
>>> the patch, I'm not sure there's much to be done.
>> Right, that's why I put out the call.
>>
>>> Worrysome, given the boot classpath property.
>>>
>>> I am in the process of running for a plane. (There's news...)  Can
>>> someone verify that there will be no problem w/ DRLVM before we do this?

>>> Right - that was my worry, the system property, but I didn't find that
>>> on first pass.
>>>
>>> The launcher change is irrelevant for now, since there are other issues
>>> that need to be fixed w/ DRLVM before it works properly w/ the launcher,
>>> where "properly" is defined as "having all the DRLVM artifacts in a
>>> /default or other subdirectory of jre/bin" :)
>> Yep.  Just want to ensure the *current* VM states are not regressed by
>> applying the patch -- we all agree there is more work to be done.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim
>>
>>> geir

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib] Applying HARMONY-1084 - 5.0 patches

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.