Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by alex chang <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/22 00:55:18 UTC

how does index.html come up?

I just recently downloaded the tomcat 3.3m3 zip
to my Windows 2000 desktop.

When I go to http://localhost:8080, how does it
know to go to the index.html file in my
wepapps/ROOT directory? (I'm assuming this *is*
where it's going?)

In my server.xml file, I don't see a <Context>
tag like I've been reading about. But near the
end of that file it says something about how
ContectXmlReader reads all the context definitions.

Near the top I do see:
<ContectXmlReader config="conf/apps.xml">

But in that conf directory I don't see an
apps.xml. However I do see:

apps-127.0.0.1.xml
apps-admin.xml
apps-examples.xml

Is the apps-127.0.0.1.xml being read somehow?
Can someone explain the process of what happens
from the time you enter localhost:8080 in your
browser, to how the page gets served up?

Thanks!
-alex

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: how does index.html come up?

Posted by Thomas Cherry <ce...@io.com>.
I have the same question, but I want to reproduce the action.  Say I
have a servlet at pathtotomcat/WebApps/myServlet and I can access that
servlet with http://localhost:8080/myServlet?.  What do I have to do so
that I can access http://localhost:8080/mySelvlet/login.html and not
have the server run?

--
Don't give in to hate- that leads to the dark side. -Obi-Wan, Jedi Knight