Posted to community@apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2003/06/27 10:14:02 UTC

.Net languages (was: How ASF membership works and what it means)

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:42:12PM -0700, Costin Manolache wrote:
> Dot net is actually doing almost the same mistake as java (AFAIK)- they
> support other languages, but only syntactically ( like java does with the
> languages that generate java bytecode ). AFAIK you can't integrate
> unmodified python or perl with .net code.

Sure you can. I wrote a compiler for Python in 1998 or 1999 (forget which)
that compiled Python down to MSFT's CLI. Mark Hammond and I worked on that
together, altho it was mostly me getting the framework set up, and Mark
running to the goal with it. I believe the Python.Net (and Perl.Net) stuff
is available from MSFT and/or ActiveState now.

Have no doubt tho... it compiled any Python code to the CLI. The obvious
problem was dealing with Python extension modules. Not much could be done
about that. But pure Python? Or the standard Python library modules? You
bet.

[ for the Python stuff, we compiled direct to the CLI; I think the Perl
  stuff took the approach of writing C# code, then compiling that ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: .Net languages (was: How ASF membership works and what it means)

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:42:12PM -0700, Costin Manolache wrote:
> > Dot net is actually doing almost the same mistake as java (AFAIK)- they
> > support other languages, but only syntactically ( like java does with the
> > languages that generate java bytecode ). AFAIK you can't integrate
> > unmodified python or perl with .net code.
>
> Sure you can. I wrote a compiler for Python in 1998 or 1999 (forget which)
> that compiled Python down to MSFT's CLI. Mark Hammond and I worked on that
> together, altho it was mostly me getting the framework set up, and Mark
> running to the goal with it. I believe the Python.Net (and Perl.Net) stuff
> is available from MSFT and/or ActiveState now.
>
> Have no doubt tho... it compiled any Python code to the CLI. The obvious
> problem was dealing with Python extension modules. Not much could be done
> about that. But pure Python? Or the standard Python library modules? You
> bet.

My point was .NET makes exactly the same mistake as java, by "integrating"
python by compiling it to .net bytecodes ( what you describe ) and making
it "fit" the .net. Just like Jython does in java.

Check http://grunge.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tolk/vmlanguages.html for a list of
languages that work on top of java.

The only difference between .NET and java ( in this area) is that .NET
advertise this pseudo-integration as real integration , while Java
marketing tries to paint is as "unpure" and bad.

As you point out, dealing with _existing_ Python modules and codebase is
the interesting part - that's the _real_ integration.

Costin