Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Viraf Bankwalla <vi...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/23 15:10:13 UTC

ODE vs PXE

Could someone please clarify how ode differs from pxe.  My understanding was that the key difference between the opensource version and product offered by intalio was that support for application servers and databases.  I am begining to wonder if this is a correct understanding.  Hoping someone could help clarify.

Thanks - viraf

---------------------------------

Re: ODE vs PXE

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
Alex Boisvert wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Viraf Bankwalla <vi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Alex - thanks for the clarification.  My concern is largely with the
>> unstable nature of ODE, and coordination of releases between the various
>> components - designer, tempo and ode.
>>

> My mother is fond of saying that you can't make an omelet without breaking
> eggs ;)
>
> On the build side of things, I just spoke to Maciej and we agreed to take a
> few steps:
>
> 1) Publish nightly builds so people have access to binary snapshots
> 2) Ensure all dependencies are replicated over multiple repositories to
> avoid transient network and server outages
> 3) Review our dependencies on artifacts and plugins to use fixed versions
> instead of moving targets (e.g. no more "latest" or snapshots)

sounds good. When do you think this will be in place.

cheers
</jima>

Re: ODE vs PXE

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
On 1/23/07, Viraf Bankwalla <vi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Alex - thanks for the clarification.  My concern is largely with the
> unstable nature of ODE, and coordination of releases between the various
> components - designer, tempo and ode.

My mother is fond of saying that you can't make an omelet without breaking
eggs ;)

On the build side of things, I just spoke to Maciej and we agreed to take a
few steps:

1) Publish nightly builds so people have access to binary snapshots
2) Ensure all dependencies are replicated over multiple repositories to
avoid transient network and server outages
3) Review our dependencies on artifacts and plugins to use fixed versions
instead of moving targets (e.g. no more "latest" or snapshots)

Now from a runtime standpoint, I think we're going through a rough patch
during the migration to OpenJPA and the recent process versioning
changes.    The Hibernate side should still work fine so I recommend using
it if you're more interested in running things versus debugging code.
We'll also try to identify stable daily snapshots so those could be used
when the trunk become unstable.

Last, regarding synchronization, Apache Ode is an independent project from
Intalio's Designer and Tempo projects so it will continue to have its own
release cycle.  I think the latter projects can rely on specific snapshots
until an official stable release is made.

Does that answer your concerns?

alex

Re: ODE vs PXE

Posted by Viraf Bankwalla <vi...@yahoo.com>.

Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com> wrote: On 1/23/07, Viraf Bankwalla  wrote:

> Could someone please clarify how ode differs from pxe.  My understanding
> was that the key difference between the opensource version and product
> offered by intalio was that support for application servers and
> databases.  I am begining to wonder if this is a correct
> understanding.  Hoping someone could help clarify.

Hi Viraf,

PXE no longer exists; the codebase has been donated to Apache and merged
into Ode.  The product offered by Intalio is a complete business process
management suite, including a BPEL engine (powered by Apache Ode), workflow
and security services, a management console, connectors and design-time
tools such as an Eclipse-based BPMN diagram modeler.   So I guess it's like
comparing the Linux kernel versus an actual distribution (e.g. Red Hat), the
differences go beyond the deployment environment.

The important point here is that the code from Apache Ode is already used
commercially with many happy users and that a growing number of people get
interested in BPEL as a way to develop composite applications.  This
generates more interest for the Apache Ode project and we hope even more
people will get involved in building and improving the best open-source BPEL
engine there is!

regards,
alex

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.