Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Petr Jiricka <Pe...@Sun.COM> on 2005/03/07 10:22:09 UTC

Using new JDK 5.0 language features with Tomcat 5.5?

Hello list,

is it safe to use the new JDK 5.0 language features, e.g. annotations
and generic types, with Tomcat 5.5? Do people do this in practice? Was
this tested extensively? Are there any known issues in this area? Please
let me know your experience with using new JDK 5.0 constructs with Tomcat.

The reason I am asking is because the J2EE 1.4 specification mandates
JDK 1.4 as the baseline, and all compliant servers must work reliably
with JDK 1.4. There is no such requirement for JDK 5.0, so any
applications that exploit the new JDK 5.0 constructs are technically
non-portable and non-compliant with J2EE 1.4.

Thanks
Petr

Re: Using new JDK 5.0 language features with Tomcat 5.5?

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.
Didn't have any problems so far...

Posted by Christoph Kutzinski <ku...@gmx.de>.
AFAIK the eclipse JDT compiler, that is used per default to compile the
JSPs, doesn't support JDK 5.0 features. So you mustn't use these
features in JSPs or change the JSP compiler.

Christoph