Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/06/22 00:31:37 UTC

CLIRR report for log4j 1.2.15

After further review, it looks like the JDiff plugin for Maven 2
isn't available, there are no jars for it in the master Maven repo.
A CLIRR plugin is available and is functional, but throws a NPE when
evaluating log4j when it runs into an interface that it can't load
(typically javax.jms.MessageListener).  The same issue came up when
the clirr target for build.xml was being written and the build file
worked around the problem by creating working directories containing
log4j.jar. jms.jar and jmxri.jar.  I've updated the build.xml's clirr
target for the Maven changes and now you can create a CLIRR XML
report between 1.2.14 and the current version by:

$ mvn clirr:check
$ ant clirr

which will produce a report in target/clirr/compatibility.xml.  The
mvn command is simply a kludge to download the necessary supporting
jars that the Ant task uses.

Comparisons against other versions of log4j can be done like:

$ ant -Dreference.version=1.2.9 clirr

If you have a JavaEE environment, mvn clirr:check might work, but I
haven't tested it.  There have been no breaking changes since log4j
1.2.9, but there were breaking changes between log4j 1.2.8 and 1.2.9
(abstract methods on AppenderSkeleton and changes in the JMX appenders).