Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> on 2011/04/04 19:51:01 UTC

starting the test phase for 1.7

Should we start building 1.7 binaries and ask people to test them?
We might call it beta testing or even "early access builds" or somesuch.
I don't really care about the name.

But there seems to be increased interest in 1.7 among our user base.
TortoiseSVN is already providing binaries based on trunk code and we've
already received useful feedback because of this.

Note that this is entirely independent of creating a 1.7.x branch.
I think that should still wait until we consider trunk to be RC quality.
The overhead of using 1.7.x/STATUS is too much of a burden at this point.

I could try to create binaries for OpenSUSE (on the opensuse buildservice)
and Ubuntu (in a ppa).

Related documention would of course contain warnings about using these
binaries on production data. The idea is to make it easier for people
to run 1.7 since we've rarely received test reports for our source code
beta releases in the past.

Would anyone be interested in helping out with creating binaries
for other systems?

Re: starting the test phase for 1.7

Posted by John Beranek <jo...@redux.org.uk>.
On 04/04/2011 18:51, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> Should we start building 1.7 binaries and ask people to test them?
> We might call it beta testing or even "early access builds" or somesuch.
> I don't really care about the name.
>
> But there seems to be increased interest in 1.7 among our user base.
> TortoiseSVN is already providing binaries based on trunk code and we've
> already received useful feedback because of this.
>
> Note that this is entirely independent of creating a 1.7.x branch.
> I think that should still wait until we consider trunk to be RC quality.
> The overhead of using 1.7.x/STATUS is too much of a burden at this point.
>
> I could try to create binaries for OpenSUSE (on the opensuse buildservice)
> and Ubuntu (in a ppa).

You can create binaries for a lot of different distros on OBS (openSUSE
Build Service) if you're a bit careful with the spec file. It's a bit
more complex if you include things that are typically quite
distro-specific, e.g. init.d scripts.

I have some experience with this, so might be able to help...

John.

--
John Beranek                         To generalise is to be an idiot.
http://redux.org.uk/                                 -- William Blake

Re: starting the test phase for 1.7

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:

> Would anyone be interested in helping out with creating binaries
> for other systems?

I have been providing Windows binaries for the performance tests I posted.

https://ctf.open.collab.net/sf/frs/do/listReleases/projects.csvn/frs.svn_binaries

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: starting the test phase for 1.7

Posted by Stefan Fuhrmann <eq...@web.de>.
On 04.04.2011 19:51, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> Should we start building 1.7 binaries and ask people to test them?
> We might call it beta testing or even "early access builds" or somesuch.
> I don't really care about the name.
+1 on the alpha / preview / whatever release. The feedback should
help e.g. focusing on real-world usage issues with WC-NG.
> But there seems to be increased interest in 1.7 among our user base.
I noticed a significant increase in feedback on the TSVN dev list lately.
Seems that people sense the 1.7 release finally drawing closer.
> TortoiseSVN is already providing binaries based on trunk code and we've
> already received useful feedback because of this.
Just a reminder: Those binaries are strictly unsupported and unofficial.

> Related documention would of course contain warnings about using these
> binaries on production data. The idea is to make it easier for people
> to run 1.7 since we've rarely received test reports for our source code
> beta releases in the past.
How would we coordinate that release from a practical standpoint?

We might just pick a random revision, say April 18th, 0:00 UTC,
branch from there, add notes, do quick fixes as needed and then
release over the course of that week.

-- Stefan^2.

Re: starting the test phase for 1.7

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[Stefan Sperling]
> I could try to create binaries for OpenSUSE (on the opensuse
> buildservice) and Ubuntu (in a ppa).

I've done much of the prep work for providing snapshots for the Debian
'experimental' branch.  Even when you enable it, updates from
experimental are not automated, you only get what you specifically ask
for.  So I think everyone will understand about the unsupported nature
of these prereleases.

That reminds me, before I can do this, I still have to update serf in
debian to 0.7.x....

Peter