Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org> on 2007/09/30 18:48:02 UTC

A belly laugh is a *good* way to start the day

Has somebody subscribed paypal customer support to the SA list? This
highly amusing form letter just dropped into my mailbox... (Yes, it
*was* received from a paypal MTA.)

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, PayPal Customer Service 1 wrote:

> [...]
> From: PayPal Customer Service 1 <se...@paypal.com>
> To: John D. Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>
> Subject: Re: sender name same as recipient name  (KMM4975266I96L0KM) :ppk1
>
> Dear John D. Hardin,
>
> Hello my name is (auto-insert your name). I am sorry to hear about this
> situation, and understand your frustration and concern regarding
> (briefly repeat member's situation).
>
> If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.
>
> Sincerely,
> Annie
> PayPal Consumer Support
> PayPal, an eBay Company
>

> Original Message Follows:
> ------------------------
> On Wed, ## Sep ####, John Calvert wrote:
>
> > I have decided to restart this whole process... setting the bayes
> > database back to its initial state & deleting auto-whitelist file.
> >
> > Is it good to use a bayes starter DB ?  If so, where can I get a
> > good one.
>
> It's not generally a good idea to use *somebody else's* data for your
> starter DB - the nature of their email traffic is not likely to be
> similar to yours.
>
> This is why it's a good idea to keep the messages you use to train
> your bayes, if you're doing manual training - so that you can correct
> training errors, and retrain from scratch if necessary. Of course,
> that doesn't scale too well if you have large numbers of users and are
> autolearning...
>
> If your users retrieve their email from your server using IMAP, here's
> one thing you can do: set up a SpamAssassin-SPAM and SpamAssassin-HAM
> mail folder in each user's mailbox. Have them move missed spams to the
> SpamAssassin-SPAM folder, and *copy* false positives (SA says it's
> spam when it isn't) to the SpamAssassin-HAM folder. They can (and
> ideally *should*) also copy some legitimate messages to their
> SpamAssassin-HAM folder so that SA can get an idea of what "ham" looks
> like.
>
> You can then train off those folders, and retrain as needed. To manage
> the training work, you can rotate those files on a schedule - e.g. on
> October #, everybody's SpamAssassin-HAM becomes
> SpamAssassin-HAM-######, etc.
>
> I have some scripting for that sort of thing here:
>
>   http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/
>

> --
>  John Hardin KA#OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
>  jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic ######     pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
>  key: #xB####E## -- #D#C ##F# #### F### ###C  AF## D### E#E# B### #E##
>   Pelley: Will you pledge not to test a nuclear weapon?
>   Ahmadeinejad: CIA! Secret prison in Europe! Abu Ghraib!
>                    -- Mahmoud Ahmadeinejad clumsily dodges a question
>                                     (## minutes interview, #/##/####)
>  ### days until the Mars Phoenix lander arrives at Mars

  Pelley: Will you pledge not to test a nuclear weapon?
  Ahmadeinejad: CIA! Secret prison in Europe! Abu Ghraib!
                   -- Mahmoud Ahmadeinejad clumsily dodges a question
                                    (60 minutes interview, 9/20/2007)
 238 days until the Mars Phoenix lander arrives at Mars

Re: A belly laugh is a *good* way to start the day

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
John D. Hardin wrote:
> Has somebody subscribed paypal customer support to the SA list? This
> highly amusing form letter just dropped into my mailbox... (Yes, it
> *was* received from a paypal MTA.)

either that, or somebody is forwarding mail to them.

yet another broken auto-responder: it doesn't show headers so we know
what they got. in its absence, I'll just believe they auto-respond to
the From header address (instead of envelope sender). sigh...