Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Hookom, Jacob" <Ja...@redline.mckhboc.com> on 2003/06/20 22:39:54 UTC

RE: [OT] caching strategy

create primary keys for your data, create an identity object to represent
legacy data, create a hashmap or cache interface and use either LRU's or
Softly referenced caching.  Pretty straight forward.  Logic would be "select
primary keys + lastModified" if changed or not found, create, else pull from
cache.

--------
Jacob Hookom
Senior Programmer/Analyst
McKesson Medical Surgical
Golden Valley, MN

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Hookom, Jacob wrote:
> create primary keys for your data, create an identity object to represent
> legacy data, create a hashmap or cache interface and use either LRU's or
> Softly referenced caching.  Pretty straight forward.  Logic would be "select
> primary keys + lastModified" if changed or not found, create, else pull from
> cache.

Okay I understand the first part -- proxy the legacy data entities with
Java objects, and use a HashMap-based cache (perhaps using the primary
keys as the hash's keys).  But...

What are LRU's?  Softly referenced caching -- have a particularly good
resource on this topic?

Erik