Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Andy Norris <an...@tireswing.net> on 2004/12/24 04:33:06 UTC

whitelist frustrations

Okay, if someone's feeling really holiday generous, maybe they can help me
out here... I'm having some problems whitelisting some mailing lists (this
one, for instance!) and some other mail...

As an example, I have these headers:

From: xmsignal@xm-radio.com
To: ANDY@TIRESWING.NET
Subject: [SPAM] XM Signal - Your Guide to XM On and Off the Air
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:54:55 -0500

I want to add this to the whitelist. So I have this rule in a custom rule
set (I KNOW these rules should be firing, as some of the other rules in
this file are hitting on test messages):

whitelist_from_rcvd  xmsignal@xm-radio.com  ezwsmtp03.xm-radio.com

What am I doing wrong here? This rule is completely ignored.

Thanks for any guidance, and happy holidays,

Andy

Re: whitelist frustrations

Posted by Andy Norris <an...@tireswing.net>.
Thanks Alan,

I'm running spamassassin through MailScanner. So I'm not running spamd. Is
this a wrinkle in the scheme of things?

Andy

Re: whitelist frustrations

Posted by alan premselaar <al...@12inch.com>.

Re: whitelist frustrations

Posted by Thomas Arend <ml...@arend-whv.info>.

Am Freitag, 24. Dezember 2004 04:33 schrieb Andy Norris:
> Okay, if someone's feeling really holiday generous, maybe they can help me
> out here... I'm having some problems whitelisting some mailing lists (this
> one, for instance!) and some other mail...
>
> As an example, I have these headers:

> From: xmsignal@xm-radio.com
> To: ANDY@TIRESWING.NET
[..]

> I want to add this to the whitelist. So I have this rule in a custom rule
> set (I KNOW these rules should be firing, as some of the other rules in
> this file are hitting on test messages):
>
> whitelist_from_rcvd  xmsignal@xm-radio.com  ezwsmtp03.xm-radio.com
>
> What am I doing wrong here? This rule is completely ignored.

- From man Mail::Spamassassin::Conf

:cite
       whitelist_from_rcvd addr@lists.sourceforge.net source-
       forge.net
           Use this to supplement the whitelist_from addresses
           with a check against the Received headers. The first
           parameter is the address to whitelist, and the second
           is a string to match the relay's rDNS.

           This string is matched against the reverse DNS lookup
           used during the handover from the internet to your
           internal network's mail exchangers.  It can either be
           the full hostname, or the domain component of that
           hostname.  In other words, if the host that connected
           to your MX had an IP address that mapped to 'send-
           inghost.spamassassin.org', you should specify "send-
           inghost.spamassassin.org" or just "spamassassin.org"
           here.

           Note that this requires that "internal_networks" be
           correct.  For simple cases, it will be, but for a com-
           plex network, or running with DNS checks off or with
           "-L", you may get better results by setting that
           parameter.
:ecite

You aren't receiving the Mail directly from ezwsmtp03.xm-radio.com but from
tireswing.arsalon.net. Maybe this is the reason why the rule doesn't fire?

Merry X-mas
Thomas

- --
icq:133073900
aim:tawhv

Re: whitelist frustrations

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 09:33 PM 12/23/2004 -0600, Andy Norris wrote:
>I want to add this to the whitelist. So I have this rule in a custom rule
>set (I KNOW these rules should be firing, as some of the other rules in
>this file are hitting on test messages):
>
>whitelist_from_rcvd  xmsignal@xm-radio.com  ezwsmtp03.xm-radio.com
>
>What am I doing wrong here? This rule is completely ignored.

I see two Received: headers in your network. Does SA run on the second
mailserver? or does SA run on the first (tireswing.arsalon.net) and the
second is just an internal post office server?

If SA runs on the second box, you probably need some tweaks to your trust
path. SA by default may not trust tireswing.arsalon.net, and thus will not
recognize the mail as coming from xm-radio.com, it will recognize it as
coming from arsalon.net.

To fix it log in to your mailserver, and run the following commands:
         host tireswing.arsalon.net
         host tireswing.net

Add those IPs, and only those IPs, to your trusted_networks statement with
/32 netmasks on the end.

i.e: (assuming that tireswing.net doesn't self-resolve to a reserved IP due
to nat. if it does, substitute accordingly)

         trusted_networks
<http://www.DNSstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=206.113.206.225>206.113.206.225/32
<http://www.DNSstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=206.113.206.224>206.113.206.224/32
127.0.0.1/32

One thing that does concern me, is it looks like the hostname your server
uses (tireswing.net) doesn't resolve to your own IP. That's a VERY bad
thing for a mailserver, if it's the case...

This was in your outbound mail:

         (authenticated bits=0)
         by tireswing.arsalon.net (8.12.10/8.12.10) with ESMTP id
iBO3gmMO004984
         for <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>; Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:42:48 -0600

Which suggests that you are really not at
<http://www.DNSstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=206.113.206.225>206.113.206.225
(A record for "tireswing.net") but you are instead at 12.217.55.151. If SA
is running at 12.217.55.151... that ought get fixed...