Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Monty Ree <ch...@hotmail.com> on 2006/12/26 06:53:12 UTC

Any anti-spam solution against outgoing mail?

Hello, list.

I have used well SA with procmail well against incoming mail.
But there are lots of outgoing spam-mails using web programs or using
sendmail at my server.
(There are several domains are hosted at the server.)

So is there any program like spamassassin which can filter against outgoing
spam mail?
or any program which can limit sending spam-mail?

Please recommend any for me..

my system is linux and sendmail.

Thanks for your time..

메신저에서 문자를 바로 보내보세요 http://phonebuddy.msn.co.kr/

Re: Any anti-spam solution against outgoing mail?

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.

Monty Ree wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> I have used well SA with procmail well against incoming mail.
> But there are lots of outgoing spam-mails using web programs or using
> sendmail at my server.
> (There are several domains are hosted at the server.)
>
> So is there any program like spamassassin which can filter against
> outgoing spam mail?
> or any program which can limit sending spam-mail?
>
> Please recommend any for me..
>
> my system is linux and sendmail.

We push all our outgoing mail from hosting servers through one of our
mail gateways using sendmail's smarthost config.
In sendmail.mc:
define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.your.provider')

This has several big benefits:

1. We can keep an eye on what hosting customers are sending,
whitelisting them as appropriate, and help them with any legit issues
they have with mass mailing (double opt in list mail ONLY!).

2. The hosting server doesn't have to do the work scanning the mail
since the gateway box runs MailScanner/SA/ClamAV, etc.

3. Any spammer, who finds the latest header injection hole in some php
script is quickly identified, since a milter or SpamAssassin usually
finds such mail quickly - we watch the logs and notify with Nagios of
any serious issue.

4. Also, you can block port 25 outgoing (and other outgoing ports as
appropriate) to anything BUT the mail gateway, so no smtp engines on the
web server are permitted.

As a side note, I'd recommend also monitoring your IP space for any RBL
listings, setting up TOS feedback loops with AOL, etc... All part of the
hosting business these days..

Ken A
Pacific.Net

Posted by maillist <ma...@emailacs.com>.
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 26 December 2006 05:53:12 +0000 Monty Ree <ch...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello, list.
>>
>> I have used well SA with procmail well against incoming mail.
>> But there are lots of outgoing spam-mails using web programs or using
>> sendmail at my server.
>> (There are several domains are hosted at the server.)
>>  So is there any program like spamassassin which can filter against
>> outgoing spam mail?
>> or any program which can limit sending spam-mail?
>>
>> Please recommend any for me..
>>
>> my system is linux and sendmail.

Mimedefang scans outgoing messages, and uses spamassassin.
http://www.mimedefang.org/

-=Aubrey=-

Re: Any anti-spam solution against outgoing mail?

Posted by ThinkAntiSpam <mr...@think-computers.com>.
We should have an out going spam filter functional by July 2007
www.think-antispam.com

Posted by Ian Eiloart <ia...@sussex.ac.uk>.

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.
Monty Ree wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> I have used well SA with procmail well against incoming mail.
> But there are lots of outgoing spam-mails using web programs or using
> sendmail at my server.
> (There are several domains are hosted at the server.)
>
> So is there any program like spamassassin which can filter against
> outgoing spam mail?

Well, spamassassin.

Spamassassin identifies spam.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The limit of
"only against incoming mail" is caused by calling spamassassin via
procmail.  If you use spamassassin via some other tool, it can be used
against outgoing mail as well.

For example, have all of your outgoing mail send to a separate smarthost
that is running sendmail+mimedefang  where mimedefang is invoking
spamassassin.  (if you run mimedefang on the same host as your web
programs, I believe they bypass milters ... so that's why I say "a
separate smarthost")

> or any program which can limit sending spam-mail?
>
> Please recommend any for me..
>
> my system is linux and sendmail.

I'd look into mimedefang.  Others might recommend the spamassassin
milter, or amavis.  Those are the milter options I'm aware of.  There's
also mailscanner.  All of those will work with sendmail on linux.

Though, you might also want to look into securing your web forms, and
enforcing an anti-spam policy among your customers (ie. reserve the
right to terminate contracts with customers who are generating spam, or
allowing their mail/web configurations to exist in a compromised state).