Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Roger Williams <ro...@roger.jp> on 2002/03/24 01:44:48 UTC

The Truth About ErrorDocument Directive

Can someone please tell me the truth about the ErrorDocument Directive? The
Docs say you can use a full URL as a directive, but I have seen pages "out
there" that claim apache docs are wrong and you can't us a full URL
(http://abc.com).  When I put one in my conf file and run configtest I get a
warning but yet it still serves the page at the full URL.  As long as it
works it is all good, I'm just curious about the inconsistincies.

Thanks,
Roger Williams

Re: The Truth About ErrorDocument Directive

Posted by ruler <ru...@isolate.net>.
Sorry, I misread your question and I don't get any warnings with apache
1.3.24 doing what you said.
> Say someone went to my5.domain.com, it will goes to
my1.domain.com/404.html

Posted by ruler <ru...@isolate.net>.
What I did is
ErrorDocument 404 http://my1.domain.com/404.html

Say someone went to my5.domain.com, it will goes to my1.domain.com/404.html

So I guess in theory, what you said about BEING able to use errordocument to
any URL is correct.

Posted by Roger Williams <ro...@roger.jp>.
When all else fails...follow the directions.  Thanks for the help!

Roger

PS  I know about the other error.    A client deleteed hos DocRoot Dir...go
figure...lol

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Roger Williams wrote:

> Can someone please tell me the truth about the ErrorDocument Directive?
The
> Docs say you can use a full URL as a directive, but I have seen pages "out
> there" that claim apache docs are wrong and you can't us a full URL
> (http://abc.com).  When I put one in my conf file and run configtest I get
> warning but yet it still serves the page at the full URL.  As long as it
> works it is all good, I'm just curious about the inconsistincies.

What warning do you get?  What pages "out there" are making those claims?

The docs at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#errordocument
are perfectly accurate.  Full or local URLs can be used, except for 401.
Local URLs are recommended because full URLs will hide the true status
code from the client (in order to send the redirect status code).

Joshua.

RE: The Truth About ErrorDocument Directive

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Roger Williams wrote:

> Below is what I get when I run configtest.  I dont remeber the page I saw
> that said it wasnt going to work, I was looking every where for info on the
> subject. But they did come outright and say Apache Docs were wrong.
>
> Roger
>

> su-2.04# /var/www/bin/apachectl configtest
> [Sun Mar 24 11:48:48 2002] [notice] cannot use a full URL in a 401
> ErrorDocument directive --- ignoring!
> Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/golfc3/virtual_html] does not exist
> Syntax OK
> su-2.04#

The warning is perfectly correct and exactly echos the documentation where
I just pointed you.  Full URLs can be used for anything except
ErrorDocument 401.

The apache docs certainly aren't always correct, but they are usually more
accurate than some random thing you find from googling.  And in this case
they are perfectly accurate.

(The DocumentRoot warning is, of course, completely separate.)

Joshua.

RE:(version #) The Truth About ErrorDocument Directive

Posted by Roger Williams <ro...@roger.jp>.
su-2.04# /var/www/bin/httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.