Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andre Juffer <aj...@cc.oulu.fi> on 2011/09/01 21:30:59 UTC

Cocoon3, JSON, Spring

Hi All,

I have two questions:

(1)
I want to be to be able to return JSON to the client, typically a
browser. The client is responsible to properly present the response to
the user, typically with the Dojotoolkit. As I would like to move to
cocoon3, I was looking for a JsonSerializer or a simple TextSerializer.

With cocoon 2.2, one can simply use the TextSerializer to return JSON,
by defining

<map:serializer name="json" mime-type="application/json; charset=UTF-8"
                 src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.TextSerializer">
   <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
</map:serializer>

Cocoon 3 apparently is restricted to only return XML/HTML [1], as far as
I can see. I did not find in the API any mentioning of other types of
serializers, besides XMLSerializer and FopSerializer.

If so, this would be a limitation. Especially for designing RIAs [2]
(like Twitter), it would be very useful to be able to return JSON.

So, is there a particular way to return JSON or Text.

(2)
With flowscript in cocoon 2.2, it was very easy to instantiate a Java
bean defined in some appropriate Spring bean configuration file, like

var someFacade = cocoon.getComponent("someFacade");
someFacade.doSomething(...);

Is there a recommended way in Cocoon 3 to instantiate beans. One could do

ApplicationContext context =
   new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext( new String[]
{"beans-spring.cfg.xml");
SomeFacade facade = (SomeFacade)context.getBean("someFacade");
facade.doSomething(...);

within a JAX-RS resource [3].

So, is this way to do instantiate beans?

Thanks,
Andre

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/features.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Internet_application