Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by "Paterline, David L." <pa...@westinghouse.com> on 2005/07/19 22:43:10 UTC

question about differences between versions of forrest

Hi -

I have been trying to recreate a web site previously created by someone who
has left the company, and in doing so, noticed differences between the
appearance of the site when generated by different versions of Forrest. I'd
like to know if this is to be expected, or whether I have something wrong in
my installation of Forrest.

The site was originally created by Forrest 0.5.1. I'm using the latest
version, Forrest 0.7, in my latest builds. I couldn't understand why my
latest build appeared differently, so I've built the site using the two
versions of Forrest. I used Forrest 0.5.1 in the first build, and Forrest
0.7 in the next. I'm running both builds on Windows XP.

Some of the differences I see are:
- with Forrest 0.7, html appears in a smaller font, and
- with Forrest 0.7, the "Font size: -a +a Reset" feature doesn't appear
- with Forrest 0.7, the corners on the tabs of my index.html page have black
squares and are not rounded
- with Forrest 0.5.1, colored bars appear below section titles, in 0.7, they
don't
- with Forrest 0.7, the PDF files contents are not centered in the file,
they butt against the left edge of the 'page'
- with Forrest 0.7, I get a lot of error messages like "BROKEN: No pipeline
matched request: rpa_docs/RPA_User_Note_2.doc" that don't appear in the
Forrest 0.5.1 log

These are the main things I notice, but there may be more.

This leads me to question whether I have installed Forrest 0.7 correctly, or
whether there may be some plugins or addins that need to be installed along
with 0.7. Or, am I way off here, and there is something else at play?

In general, the site build with 0.5.1 looks better, and I would like to be
able to reproduce the appearance using the latest version of Forrest.

Appreciate any suggestions or explanations.

Thanks.

-
David L. Paterline
Principal Engineer
Westinghouse Electric Company
Nuclear Fuel Engineering
Engineering Computing
paterldl@westinghouse.com
PH: 412-374-2286
FX: 412-374-2284

Re: question about differences between versions of forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David, the main thing that you need to do is to
upgrade your configuration files (e.g. skinconf, etc.)
following the upgrade instructions. This will mean
that you cannot then build it with 0.5.1

Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> Paterline, David L. wrote:
> > I have been trying to recreate a web site previously created by someone who
> > has left the company, and in doing so, noticed differences between the
> > appearance of the site when generated by different versions of Forrest. I'd
> > like to know if this is to be expected, or whether I have something wrong
> > in my installation of Forrest.
>
> There have certainly been *numerous* changes between 0.5 and 0.7, both under
> the hood as well has externally. The Forrest team tries to make it as easy as
> possible for users to migrate to newer versions (keep backward compatibility
> where possible, provide an easy upgrade path otherwise, keep changes user
> visible interfaces minimal etc). However, since Forrest is still far from 1.0
> release, you should be prepared for some changes specially if you're jumping
> 2 minor versions :-)
>
> > The site was originally created by Forrest 0.5.1. I'm using the latest
> > version, Forrest 0.7, in my latest builds. I couldn't understand why my
> > latest build appeared differently, so I've built the site using the two
> > versions of Forrest. I used Forrest 0.5.1 in the first build, and Forrest
> > 0.7 in the next. I'm running both builds on Windows XP.
>
> It would be extremely valuable if you could make these two sites (or some
> sample output from Forrest) available (online or otherwise) -- it'll be much
> easier to help diagnose your issues that way.

Please do the config upgrade first, it will solve many of your
issues.

> > - with Forrest 0.7, the PDF files contents are not centered in the file,
> > they butt against the left edge of the 'page'
>
> Could you send sample files please?

However, not as attachments to the mailing list - use the
Jira issue tracker if you need to send something, or put
them on your own website and give us URLs.

> > - with Forrest 0.7, I get a lot of error messages like "BROKEN: No pipeline
> > matched request: rpa_docs/RPA_User_Note_2.doc" that don't appear in the
> > Forrest 0.5.1 log
>
> This is probably because you were a) using a custom sitemap; b) using an input
> plugin that has not been enabled currently (see forrest.properties)

I think that this will be a result of the change in the
way that "raw unprocessed content" is delivered. Again
please see the upgrade notes.

Actually i would like to know how you managed to miss the
instructions about the upgrade notes. Do we need to make
that more obvious?

David

Re: question about differences between versions of forrest

Posted by Diwaker Gupta <di...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 1:43 pm, Paterline, David L. wrote:
> I have been trying to recreate a web site previously created by someone who
> has left the company, and in doing so, noticed differences between the
> appearance of the site when generated by different versions of Forrest. I'd
> like to know if this is to be expected, or whether I have something wrong
> in my installation of Forrest.

There have certainly been *numerous* changes between 0.5 and 0.7, both under
the hood as well has externally. The Forrest team tries to make it as easy as
possible for users to migrate to newer versions (keep backward compatibility
where possible, provide an easy upgrade path otherwise, keep changes user
visible interfaces minimal etc). However, since Forrest is still far from 1.0
release, you should be prepared for some changes specially if you're jumping
2 minor versions :-)

> The site was originally created by Forrest 0.5.1. I'm using the latest
> version, Forrest 0.7, in my latest builds. I couldn't understand why my
> latest build appeared differently, so I've built the site using the two
> versions of Forrest. I used Forrest 0.5.1 in the first build, and Forrest
> 0.7 in the next. I'm running both builds on Windows XP.

It would be extremely valuable if you could make these two sites (or some
sample output from Forrest) available (online or otherwise) -- it'll be much
easier to help diagnose your issues that way.

> Some of the differences I see are:
> - with Forrest 0.7, html appears in a smaller font, and

This is purely a CSS issue, and easily fixed to your taste.
Locate the file skinconf.xml under your project (usually under
src/documentation/) and find the section <extra-css> in it. Try putting
something like:

body {
 font-size: 12px;
}

> - with Forrest 0.7, the "Font size: -a +a Reset" feature doesn't appear

This is configurable via an option in skinconf.xml I believe. To see what
options are available in skinconf, create a new directory (say forrest-seed)
and inside it, run

$ forrest seed

This will create a fresh site demonstrating all that can be done with Forrest
0.7. Take a look at the skinconf.xml it generates.

> - with Forrest 0.7, the corners on the tabs of my index.html page have
> black squares and are not rounded

I think this can help you:
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/howto/howto-corner-images.html

> - with Forrest 0.5.1, colored bars appear below section titles, in 0.7,
> they don't

Also configurable via skinconf.xml

> - with Forrest 0.7, the PDF files contents are not centered in the file,
> they butt against the left edge of the 'page'

Could you send sample files please?

> - with Forrest 0.7, I get a lot of error messages like "BROKEN: No pipeline
> matched request: rpa_docs/RPA_User_Note_2.doc" that don't appear in the
> Forrest 0.5.1 log

This is probably because you were a) using a custom sitemap; b) using an input
plugin that has not been enabled currently (see forrest.properties)

HTH,
Diwaker
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net

Re: question about differences between versions of forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> It sounds like your predecessor may have customized the sitemap
> (broken pipelines) and maybe the skin?  Have you gone through the
> 0.5->0.6 upgrade then the 0.6->0.7 updgrade and are still having these
> issues?

Actually one does not need to upgrade first to use 0.6
then 0.7 version. Go straight from 0.5 to 0.7 is fine.
Just follow the 0.7 upgrade instructions. The main
thing is modifying the config files. But as Tim says
if your predecessor used specialized sitemap stuff,
then there is extra work to do.

David

Re: question about differences between versions of forrest

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
It sounds like your predecessor may have customized the sitemap
(broken pipelines) and maybe the skin?  Have you gone through the
0.5->0.6 upgrade then the 0.6->0.7 updgrade and are still having these
issues?  It looks like these two documents show how to bring old ways
of doing things (e.g. direct sitemap changing) to new ways (e.g.
plugin/project-level sitemap).  To your other question, it sounds like
you have "installed" it correctly just need to figure out what was
done and recreate it in 0.7.

Take a look at these:
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_60/upgrading_06.html
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/upgrading_07.html

Given your issues, you may want to pay particular attention to finding
a skin that is most like yours if it doesn't still exist and
investigate any local changes to the *.xmap (specifically looking for
a **.doc match?)

--tim