Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Krzysztof Szymko <kr...@faven.pl> on 2017/12/06 00:46:48 UTC

Users guide feedback

Hi,

I've been reading the guide (http://directory.apache.org/api/user-guide.html) and I've found the following errors:

1) 2.5 - Deleting entries
    Simple entry deletion (listing for testDeleteLeafNode())
    DeleteResponse response = connection.delete( "cn=child1,cn=parent,ou=system" );
method's signature is: delete(String) - void, so shouldn't it be:
DeleteRequest deleteRequest = new DeleteRequestImpl(); deleteRequest.setName(new Dn( "cn=child1,cn=parent,ou=system"));
DeleteResponse response = connection.delete(deleteRequest);

2) 2.6 - Modyfing entries
    Removing an attribute
    typo: attrinute

I was using version 1.0.0 of the jar for testing.

Best regards,
Krzysztof Szymko

Re: Users guide feedback

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 06/12/2017 à 01:46, Krzysztof Szymko a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading the guide (http://directory.apache.org/api/user-guide.html) and I've found the following errors:
>
> 1) 2.5 - Deleting entries
>     Simple entry deletion (listing for testDeleteLeafNode())
>     DeleteResponse response = connection.delete( "cn=child1,cn=parent,ou=system" );
> method's signature is: delete(String) - void, so shouldn't it be:
> DeleteRequest deleteRequest = new DeleteRequestImpl(); deleteRequest.setName(new Dn( "cn=child1,cn=parent,ou=system"));
> DeleteResponse response = connection.delete(deleteRequest);

Correct. The method throws an exception in this case, so one should use
a try...catch around the delete call, or use the code you suggest.

Note that the LdapConnection API defines 3 methods for the delete
operation :

* void delete( Dn dn ) throws LdapException
* void delete( String dn ) throws LdapException
* DeleteResponse delete( DeleteRequest deleteRequest ) throws LdapException

The last method is to be used when you want to add a control to the request.

Fixed.

> 2) 2.6 - Modyfing entries
>     Removing an attribute
>     typo: attrinute

Fixed.

Many thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated and helps
improving the rproject !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com