Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Grantham <jg...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/02 22:16:08 UTC

Newbie

I am new to subversion and i have a problem and question....

I have mounted a Windows share to my linux box to a folder called
/mnt/netlogon.

I have created a svn repository at svnsource/netlogon using the svnadmin
create command.

When I run svn import /mnt/netlogon file:///svnsource.netlogon it appears
that everything is copied there but i can't find it. Any ideas on why I
can't find the files?

Again, I am VERY new to subverision so any help will be GREATLY appreicated.

Jeff
KB5WCK

Re: Newbie

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 3, 2006, at 01:12, Jeff Grantham wrote:

> I printed it out and brought it home to look at. If I go into the
> repo folder I don't see any files. Shouldn't i see a copy of them
> there?

No... the repository is a database. It stores your files safe and
sound in an internal representation (specifically, as one file per
revision [not one file per file] in the db/revs and db/revprops
directories). Your individual files are not stored as individual
files on your hard disk, though.

Here's one recent explanation of this format:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/0456.shtml

That's for the default FSFS repository storage type, by the way; the
older BDB repository backend stores things differently. But in the
end, it's not important how Subversion stores your files, just that
it does so.

P.S: Don't forget to "reply to all" so your message goes to the
mailing list too.

Re: Newbie

Posted by James Harman <ha...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.