Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@hates.ms> on 2014/03/14 20:33:54 UTC

Playing back PUT HTTP requests with binary content

I am using JMeter to record PUT HTTP requests made to a server, where the content of the request is unencoded, raw JPEG (or MP4). I have noticed that the data in the played back requests is altered, and LF are changed to CRLF, by comparing the traffic captured with Wireshark.

I think the content-type of the request is correctly indicated as image/jpeg or video/mp4 in the original requests.

Is there a way to both record the original traffic verbatim and play it back as such? It is very possible I am not using the tool properly and any help or hints are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Playing back PUT HTTP requests with binary content

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17 March 2014 20:13, Liviu Nicoara <ni...@hates.ms> wrote:
>> I am using JMeter to record PUT HTTP requests made to a server, where the
>> content of the request is unencoded, raw JPEG (or MP4). I have noticed that
>> the data in the played back requests is altered, and LF are changed to CRLF,
>> by comparing the traffic captured with Wireshark.
>>
>> I think the content-type of the request is correctly indicated as
>> image/jpeg or video/mp4 in the original requests.
>>
>> Is there a way to both record the original traffic verbatim and play it
>> back as such? It is very possible I am not using the tool properly and any
>> help or hints are much appreciated.
>>

> FWIW, the behavior of JMeter on Linux is similar (didn't capture this time,
> but will do if it can help anyone take a stab at it).
>
> I suspect some ill-chosen or ill-used content parser. Unfortunately, my Java
> expertise is insufficient to make a diagnostic or a contribution. Any
> opinions, pointers?

There are two aspects to this.

1) Is it possible to create a JMeter script to PUT a binary file?
As far as I know, that should work, but I've not tried it.

2) Is it possible to use the JMeter recording feature to create a
script that will successfully upload a file?
I don't know about that but the intention is that it should work.

In order to debug this, it would be useful if there is a public server
that can be used to test against.

Can you share the JMX file you used?
If so, I suggest you create a Bugzilla issue and attach the JMX and
the jmeter log file from a test run.
Ideally switch on debugging in jmeter.properties as follows:

# Enable header wire + context logging - Best for Debugging
log_level.org.apache.http=DEBUG
log_level.org.apache.http.wire=ERROR

Please remember to redact the files to obscure any private information
before attaching them to the Bugzilla issue, as attachments are public
and cannot easily be deleted.

Re: Playing back PUT HTTP requests with binary content

Posted by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@hates.ms>.

Posted by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@hates.ms>.
On Fri, 14 Mar 2014, sebb wrote:

> On 14 March 2014 19:33, Liviu Nicoara <ni...@hates.ms> wrote:
>> I am using JMeter to record PUT HTTP requests made to a server, where the content of the request is unencoded, raw JPEG (or MP4). I have noticed that the data in the played back requests is altered, and LF are changed to CRLF, by comparing the traffic captured with Wireshark.
>>
>> I think the content-type of the request is correctly indicated as image/jpeg or video/mp4 in the original requests.
>>
>> Is there a way to both record the original traffic verbatim and play it back as such? It is very possible I am not using the tool properly and any help or hints are much appreciated.
>
> Which version of JMeter are you using?

FWIW, the version is 2.11 r1554548. Any feed-back is much appreciated.

Posted by ni...@hates.ms.
On Mar 14, 2014, at 3:45 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 March 2014 19:33, Liviu Nicoara <ni...@hates.ms> wrote:
>> I am using JMeter to record PUT HTTP requests made to a server, where the content of the request is unencoded, raw JPEG (or MP4). I have noticed that the data in the played back requests is altered, and LF are changed to CRLF, by comparing the traffic captured with Wireshark.
>> Is there a way to both record the original traffic verbatim and play it back as such? It is very possible I am not using the tool properly and any help or hints are much appreciated.
>
> Which version of JMeter are you using?

I downloaded it three days ago. I presume the latest version available on the website. I don’t have my other laptop with me now to precisely identify the version.

Re: Playing back PUT HTTP requests with binary content

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.