Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/04 18:22:26 UTC

"Right" combination of analyzers for indexing and searching

Question to those who've deployed and maintained Lucene: any recommendations
or observations about practical decisions regarding analyzer choice in
indexing & searching? What have you found in operation to work well, become
difficult, yield better/worse results, affect performance, etc.? What would
you do differently if you were starting from scratch?

Cheers from sunny Seattle,
jeff r.

Re: "Right" combination of analyzers for indexing and searching

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jeff,

This is a tough question to answer, because there is no universal
answer.  The choice of Analyzer depends on what/how you are trying to
index/search.  I've used analyzers from the Lucene distributions, but
have also written specialized ones.  My suggestion for you is to start
with the StandardAnalyzer, as it covers most users' needs.  Then, if
you encounter problems, come back with the description of the problem,
and we'll try helping.

Otis